Various problems with Parallels, including OS X crashing

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by zebradreams07, Dec 28, 2007.

1. zebradreams07

zebradreams07 Bit poster

Ok, so since installing Parallels a few months ago, I've had problem after problem. I love it when it is working, but I'm getting extremely frustrated. First, basic info:
    Parallels 3.0 Build 5160
    Windows XP Home SP 2
    Mac OS 10.4.11 on MacBook Pro: 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo, 2 GB RAM

Most recent and worrisome problem was a few hours after installing the Parallels update. While using Firefox in Mac, an error message suddenly popped up saying I needed to restart by holding down the power button. Error overrided everything, was unable to do anything except restart. After restarting a window popped up saying that Mac OS X had closed unexpectedly - same error you get after a program crash. I have only seen this error once before, and that was on a very old and broken eMac. Has not reoccurred but greatly concerns me.
    Also, have great difficulty using my external HD with Parallels. Drive is formatted for Mac, but so is my internal, and that works fine with Parallels. The only way I can find the drive is Z:/Volumes/Drive Name. When trying to transfer files to this drive, if drive is accidentally disconnected (have been unable to find Firewire cable that doesn't fall out at the slightest bump) Windows immediately creates an image of the drive, and copies all files that were being transfered there. When I'm downloading large files to the external drive and they suddenly start taking up internal drive space, my internal fills up and Parallels suspends Windows. I am unable to find this fake image through Mac, so I have to copy other files over to the external drive temporarily in order to run Windows so I can remove the image.
    Lastly, what's the new on running Parallels with Leopard? A Cnet review I read said that there had been compatibility issues.
    Thanks, Kari.