Very slow copy from real CD and .iso image

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by ngreeves, Jul 13, 2006.

1. ngreeves

ngreeves Bit poster

An install of XP from a single CD took 18 hours on MacBook Pro 2.16GHz 2Gb RAM! Repeating the process using the .iso image that was used to generate the real CD showed the same behaviour. I used the default settings in PD and chose XP as the OS.

The CD image is a standard ISO, bootable via floppy emulation but is not a standard MSoft install CD. It contains the bootable environment that runs the MWS installer scripts, and the data portion of the CD contains the zipped XP installation materials, zipped plug and play drivers, zipped Novell client, and the files for launching the linux imaging environment.

The process slows to a crawl during unzipping but did eventually complete. During this slowdown the hardrive and CD icons on Parallels Desktop were flashing frantically but the hard drive image size increased very very slowly. PD was using >100% of the CPU in Activity Monitor the whole time.

I then tried to copy the contents of the CD to the hard drive with similar results.

So here's the question, what drivers are used for the virtual CD when using an image? And what drivers shoud I choose while using a real CD? The default on the installer is ATA which seems to be true but not giving good results.

2. andymac

andymac Bit poster

Hi,

I'm getting the same problem - although I'm using a brand new retail copy of XP. My install was dead slow & ended up putting my MacBook into a Kernal panic - not something I see often with my Macs. I too can also confirm that PD was utilising almost 100% of my CPU. This can't be right, as so many people seem to have got XP to load & run with no probs.

Anyone any clues ??

Cheers,

3. andymac

andymac Bit poster

Got it working now !

Hi,

I've got my installation to work properly now, and thought it worthwhile posting on here again. I hadn't set the Parallels system wide RAM allocation high enough after upgrading the RAM in my MacBook - it was at only 96MB, whilst XP was allowed 512MB. I've now set both Parallels & XP to 512MB, and the installation flew & XP is now operating ok.

Hope this helps some others :)

4. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<