Very slow performance with bridged networking

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by SteveBosell, Feb 26, 2008.

1. SteveBosell

SteveBosell Junior Member

I am having performance issues within Windows with bridged networking. My setup is MBP, 2 gigs of ram, parallels 5584, windows xp sp 2 on the bootcamp partition formatted with fat32, Mac DHCP, windows static IP. Performance seems to be fine with Shared networking, however I this is not an option for a couple reasons. The windows task manager shows ~10 cpu usage, the mac shows ~20 cpu usage. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling parallels. Any help would be appreciated.

2. SteveBosell

Just to clarify, the slowness is windows itself, it runs about as fast as a pentium 2 with 64 megs of ram.

3. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Steve,

Could you please let me see the screenshots of Windows Task Manager and Mac Activity Monitor with processes sorted by CPU usage?

Best regards,
    Xenos

4. mschool

mschool Member

I had been using bridged networking for over a year on Parallels Ver 1, Ver 2 and Ver 3
    It was with Version 3 that I tried shared networking and had no problems for 2-3 months. Then I noticed that my McAfee software could not update it's detection signature files, and MS Explorer slowed to a crawl. I switched back to bridged networking and the problem was resolved.

5. SteveBosell

Here is a screenshot, this is about 5 minutes after I logged into windows, and performance is extremely slow.

Sorry for the large size

[​IMG]

6. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Steve, thank you for the screenshot.

Please check if disabling antivirus software on Windows side will help.

You should also try the following: open Configuration Editor, Options section, Advanced tab and disable Intel VT-x support and Acceleration level.

Best regards,
    Xenos