Video Card Properties in 3.0

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by dmainzman, Jun 9, 2007.

1. dmainzman

dmainzman Bit poster

I don't know if this has been answered already, but I can't find it...
    But anyway, When I go to the graphics card properties inside the virtual machine (through the display control panel > settings tab > advanced) it seems to be that it can't even recognize it. Under all the properties it says they're all unkown, and that the card is unrecognized.
    I went to check to see if it was saying it was the full 256 MB now as the mac's card is, since it was only saying 8 or 16 in previous non-3D-supporting versions of parallels.
    Anyway, is this normal for version 3.0 or is this a problem?

2. dmainzman

dmainzman Bit poster

Uh... I wasn't expecting 99 views and no replies... that says to me that no one else is having this problem.
    Maybe at least one of you could just go tell me what yours says when you look at your graphics card properties?

3. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

maximum memory on the Virtualised video card that parallels provides is 64mb (this is set in your VMs configuration.)

Have you installed Parallels Tools into your VM ?

4. AlanH

AlanH Pro

Sorry, didn't see this post until you replied to it yourself.

My MacPro with GeForce 7300GT gives:
    Aadpter Type: Parallels Video Driver

Chip type: Virtual Video Controller
    DAC Type: Virtual Video DAC
    Memory Size: 8 MB
    Adapter String: Virtual Video Adapter
    BIOS Information: Virtual Video BIOS

Click Properties button:

Various boring stuff that identifies the driver with Parallels, driver version: 3.0.4124.0

Let me know if you want more of the boring stuff :)

5. dmainzman

dmainzman Bit poster

Hmm... thanks for that... looks like I may need to go muck around in some settings. If it doesn't work after that, I'll get back to youse....

6. AlanH

AlanH Pro

Following darkone's reply I closed the VM and changed its video memory (under Memory, not Video!) to 64 MB. That change is now reflected in the Display Properties in XP. However, I don't know whether it makes any difference. I saw a reply from a Parallels support person early on that indicated that setting had no effect.

7. VTMac

VTMac Pro

The setting has not effect when running 3D applicaitons. It can help for those fortunate enough to have 2 (or 3) cinema screens all running at max res & color.