Video driver for ME

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by hippotech, Apr 7, 2007.

1. hippotech

hippotech Member

Does anyone from Parallels have an update on when we can expect a working video driver for Windows ME in build 3188 ?

Hippo

2. hippotech

hippotech Member

Anyone from Parallels !!

Any thoughts please....

Can you just release a version of the driver from 1970 that works with 3188 ( I have tried the actual one and it fails miserably ).

Hippo

3. chabig

chabig Hunter

Sorry, I have to ask...why do want to run Windows ME, which was generally considered one of the worst (if not the worst) Windows releases ever?

4. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

I agree. Why bother with ME? I hated the few times I have used it.

5. whoopeeg

whoopeeg Bit poster

Not just ME, 9x/ME also

I too am displeased with the video issue on 9x/ME systems. So much so that I
    finally registered my product to provide the following email support request:

Please describe the problem here: Windows 98 and Windows ME are listed as
    supported guest operating systems. They clearly do not work as the video driver
    causes lockup at VM close. Please provide driver fix for supported (and
    previously working) guest OSes. On a side note, I just installed "DosBox" and
    at least on my PC it has excellent VGA compatibility including the MODE-X modes.
    It seems to be using SDL as a lib solution. I would also like to note that the
    MS VPC2007 solution for XP is to provide emulation of a standard S3 Trio-64 card
    so that no driver is actually needed. It would be a great solution to a thorny
    problem to investigate and institute the creation of vga emulation which
    provides features that a standard, capable card with drivers that are included
    in default OS installations.

My problem is that your VGA driver for 9x win OSes hangs up and consumes over
    100% cpu forcing an almost instant temp rise and subsequent power use for fan
    cooling that renders your VM solution practically useless for a mobile computing
    solution. Please support your supported guest OSes.

PS in the Banner that says "newly updated" please include the build so that I
    don't have to keep checking to see if the banner is really true. After 30
    days it is not really newly updated....

Thanks, David

The response was not too pleasing:

Hello, David.
    Thank you for your request. We know this problems with video driver. We
    investigate this problem. Unfortunately, this is not our major goal. We
    will fix this in our further official version.
    Best regards
    James

So...

My request was:

provide support for an advertised as supported feature

The response was:

this is not our major goal.

6. wingdo

wingdo Pro

They should remove the 9x/ME from "supported" systems. I can understand the desire to run 98SE under something like VPC where the entire system has to be emulated and XP runs slower. I can't imagine wanting to run such crap as ME on an Intel native Mac which runs XP SP2 at a VERY acceptable speed.

Is there a specific program you need 9x for, or do you just not have a legal copy of XP? Just curious why someone would want to run it.

But back to the point, that is a very undesired response from the support staff (although there are still enough bugs with XP for them to work out).

7. jbh001

jbh001 Member

You already got the answer here:

http://forums.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=9923

It may not be the answer any of us would like, but its the most concrete answer they have given to us so far.

8. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

It sounds to me as if tech support from Parallels is overly blunt. Most companies tell people that, just in a more polite manner. (are you listening Parallels, hint, hint.) Wait for major version updates for attention to the minor things, that sure sounds typical to me.

Parallels support would probably 'seem' much better if they were a little more coy. Maybe it's just the language barrier.

9. hippotech

hippotech Member

Sorry been away for a while.

To answer the questions on why I want to run ME, I have some encyclopaedic ( I think that's spelt right :) ) software that only runs under 98 or ME - very nice software and I like it.

I use XP for other stuff and that is fine.

Hippo

10. chabig

chabig Hunter

Well then, that's a good reasons.

Not knowing much about Windows, I thought Microsoft was big on maintaining backwards compatibility. Therefore, I'm quite surprised that XP won't run it.

Chris

11. vioccc

vioccc Member

I suppose that you've already done that but just in case, have you tried to:

- contact the editor of this software to see if they offer a patch for XP
    - looked on the web for unofficial patches
    - tried to run the software under XP in Compatibility mode