Video Driver Install on Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Aaron Hecker, May 28, 2009.

1. Aaron Hecker

Aaron Hecker Bit poster

Not sure if this has been posted yet...

I recently installed Windows 7 through Parallels and I'm trying to install a driver for my graphics card (GE Force 8600M GT in MBP 17"). I found the driver and downloaded it, but when I went to launch it, an error popped up saying there was no program associated to open the .exe file. What can I do to get my video card to work properly?

Again, sorry if this has been asked before.

2. galochka

galochka Hunter

Hello
    Aaron Hecker,

Parallels Desktop 4.0 has it is own drivers for video card (it emulates some video card and Parallels Video adapter). And it is not possibel to install native drivers on Virtual Machine.

3. Aaron Hecker

Aaron Hecker Bit poster

Is there any way that I can improve the speed or power of my video card through Parallels then? Windows is giving me a rating of 1 for gaming graphics, and my games all run really slow, despite the fact that I have a nice card.

4. desgael

desgael Pro

Did you check Video settings in Virtual Machine -> Configure -> Hardware -> Video?

Try increasing the video memory to it's maximum. Please note, that you would not be able to change any virtual hardware setting if the virtual machine is running.

5. Aaron Hecker

Aaron Hecker Bit poster

I did that, and it helped some. I still don't think I'm getting the whole benefit of my card, but I guess thats just the way it is. Thanks for helping me to configure it the best I can!

6. FrancoisG

FrancoisG Bit poster

Same problem

Windows 7 told me that he does not detect the graphic card and the amount of graphic memory available (I configure 256 meg of graphical memory)