Video Driver Updates

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by MattO, Jun 2, 2009.

1. MattO

MattO Bit poster

Hello, for Parallels 4.0

I'm running Windows XP on a Macbook Pro with a GeForce 9600m driver.
    What do I need to do with my settings and/or driver updates to be able to run video games within the VM?

I've installed Parallels tools.
    I've tried to download and install the GeForce Driver from within windows.
    I've looked all throughout my display/video settings in the configuration editor of parallels. I can't seem to modify the settings within the RAM or display settings tabs.

Help here would be great! Thanks

2. galochka

galochka Hunter

Dear MattO,

Parallels Desktop emulates Parallels Video Driver and it is not recommended to install any custom drivers inside Virtual machine.
    The only way you may increase perfomance:

Configure -> Video -> increase Ram and enable 3D acceleration.
    Please check the list of supported games and applications by Parallels Desktop:
    http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/features/3d/

3. MattO

MattO Bit poster

Ram settings and video settings are both locked. How do I unlock these?

Ram is at 1024 and video is at 128. Accecleration is already enabled.

Any workarounds for this?

4. MattO

MattO Bit poster

Any other help or recommendations with this would be great.

The particular game I'm trying to get going at this point is DemiGod from Gas Powered Games. It's really the only reason I bought Parallels, so if I need to switch to using boot camp to make this work, please let me know.

5. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

The settings are locked because you're running the virtual machine or it's suspended, shut it down first to change settings.

6. CliffS

CliffS Bit poster

Having A similar problem

I'm having a similar problem.
    I have recently upgraded my parallels to 4.0 and I am attempting to play Final Fantasy XI in parallels.
    (I noticed that this game is not confirmed as being tested on the list of compatible 3d games for parallels...however it seems that other players have been able to play this game on a mac using parallels 3.0 and above)

After many hours of troubleshooting to get the 3d stuff to work...i now am getting a message saying: "Failed to Recognize Hardware TnL".
    I have already:
    1.) made sure the 'enable 3d acceleration" box was checked in my video settings for parallels
    2.) tried to increase the Ram and Video Memory in the video configuration of parallels.
    3.) tried to research all over the internet to find out exactly HOW to get over this step.

While others have had this error message come to them they seem to all be coming from people that were using an earlier version of parallels. What am I doing wrong?

I'm running a MacBook Pro2,2 Intel2.3Ghz 2GB memory top of the line laptop.
    Please Help!

Cliff

7. MattO

MattO Bit poster

No solution here, must use Boot Camp

I've thoroughly investigated this issue and there is no apparent fix. The parallels video driver does not contain the information necessary to accurately display the games on your screen. Unless Parallels were to patch their driver or include additional compatibility in a future upgrade, there's no solution.

Your machine will have Boot Camp on it. I recommend installing Windows direct to Boot Camp and booting directly to Windows when it's time for some gaming.

Keep in mind you need your MacOSX install disc to dump the necessary drivers into Windows once it's installed. It auto-runs and it's a file called setup.exe. Pretty easy.

So here's what you need to do...
    1. start boot camp from within Leopard.
    2. From within the Boot Camp assistant, partition your hard drive with at least 20 gig. (perhaps more, check the size of your games)
    3. Install Windows from within the Boot Camp assistant.
    4. From Windows, run setup.exe from your Mac OSX disc.
    5. Install your games.
    6. Game on