Video overlay wasn't initialized

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by MitchM, Nov 25, 2008.

1. MitchM

MitchM Junior Member

Hello,

I've had a fairly uneventful upgrade to 4.0, but it is supposed to support video overlay. I have tried loading some security camera software, but only get a message:
    "Video Overlay wasn't initialized. So, this program will shutdown. Please retry after system reset"

Needless to say, system resets are having no effect and I cannot find any further help by searching here or any documentation.

Does 4.0 really support video overlay? Where can I check what the problem may be?

Thanks,
    Mitch

iMac 2.4 GHz 4GB RAM OSX 10.5.5

2. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Have you tried to Set Hardware Acceleration mode for video adapter to Full?
    It can be found under display properties: Right click on desktop -> Properties -> Settings -> Advanced -> Troubleshoot

3. MitchM

MitchM Junior Member

Hi Elric,

Yes, acceleration is set to full.
    I've set it to zero, restarted, set back to full, restarted, but there is no change.

Thanks,
    Mitch

4. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Could you please send a problem report using menu "Help"->"Report a Problem" and post here its number?

5. MitchM

MitchM Junior Member

Hi Elric,

Problem report is 16234.

Thanks,
    Mitch

6. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Thanks, we will investigate the issue

7. serv

serv Forum Maven

Mitch,

Is this happening in Coherence or Windowed mode? If you're already in windowed mode try one more thing:
    1. Shutdown your VM
    2. Open VM Configuration
    3. Select CPU settings
    4. Check Advanced settings checkbox at the bottom, System flags text field will show up.
    5. Type in "video.overlay_noflip=1" without quotes into System flags
    6. Click OK and start the VM

8. MitchM

MitchM Junior Member

Hi Serv,

Thankyou!

That solved it. Works like a charm.

Mitch

9. MitchM

MitchM Junior Member

Also - it was doing this in Windowed mode.

I still receive the same error message in Coherence mode.

Mitch

10. serv

serv Forum Maven

Mitch,

For the record, what is the model of security camera and software that you're using?

11. MitchM

MitchM Junior Member

Hi Serv,

The DVR is a Pelco digital recorder DX4000, software is Pelco Remote client, Spectra cameras.

Mitch

12. jwjohnson99

jwjohnson99 Member

I'm having a similar problem with TotalMedia Theater when I try to play blu ray or dvd or .iso files of the same disc. I tried the "video.overlay_noflip=1" fix suggested above, but it is not helping. I do have hardware acceleration set to full also as suggested above.

13. jwjohnson99

jwjohnson99 Member

I submitted a problem report # 23532.

14. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

could you please try these workarounds:
    1. Minimize hardware acceleration level in display properties.

Right click on Desktop -> Personalize -> Display Settings -> Advanced
    Settings -> Trobleshoot tab. Put hardware acceleration level to zero.

2. Set Color in Display Settings to 24 bit making hardware acceleration
    set to maximum.

15. jwjohnson99

jwjohnson99 Member

John,
    I tried both of these, but the TotalMedia Theater program crashes as soon as the .iso or blu-ray disc is accessed. I don't even get the overlay error like I do when these work arounds are not enabled. I can still play the .m2ts files directly, and that works ok (except when hardware acceleration is disabled the video stutters and jerks a lot.)

16. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

I think it is not supported
    http://www.arcsoft.com/products/totalmediatheatre/
    It requires
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 and above, or AMD(ATI) HD2400 and above. for BlueRay playback
    # Intel Pentium EE 3.2 GHz, Intel Core Duo, or equivalent; AMD Athlon 64 or equivalent

17. asdasdass

asdasdass Bit poster

I know that this is an old thread, but this is the only place that I found talking about this problem on the net.

I am using Parallels 5 and have the same exact problem with Arcsoft TotalTheatre....I tried everything but the software just will not play the BD ISOs, they play fine under bootcamp, but when I run the XP under Parallels I got the error message.

Running on Macbook Pro 13 2009 June Model, like I said, it must be a Parallels/Drivers issue because it plays fine under normal XP Boot ...

Any suggestions?