Video resizing wrong !!!!

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by divi996tt, Jun 9, 2006.

1. divi996tt

divi996tt Junior Member

When I'm working on OS X and then turn on Parallels, the small windows with the guest OS( Windows Xp) will come up in full size. I tried to toggle between full screen and small screen but it goes from full screen to almost full screen. Never goes back to the small window that I used to have when I first installed Parallels.
    What I'm doing wrong. I want to use windows but in a small window, not full screen.
    Thanks

Divi

2. Marko

Marko Member

1) Launch Parallels
    2) At the Guest OS Properties page at the bottom select 'Edit'
    3) This Opens Up The Preferences for the Guest OS.
    4) Under Video add a new resolution size 1024x768
    4) Click OK to close Guest OS Preferences
    5) Click Save to save Guest OS Properites
    6) Start your OS
    7) At the OS Desktop (Windowd mode) Right Click on the Dekstp and select Properties. This opens up Display Control Panel.
    8) Select Display Control Panel Settings Tab - and set you Windows mode Screen Size to say 800x600. Click Apply and then Close Display Control Panel by clicking OK.

So Now when in Windowd mode you Guest OS Desktop will be 800x600, but when you switch to Full Screen mode the desktop will be 1024x768

3. divi996tt

divi996tt Junior Member

Marko !!!!

Thank You !!!! It works perfect !!!!!

Divi

4. lswan

lswan Bit poster

Thanks, Marko!!

I was sure there was no solution. thanks so much for fixing my problem!!!!! :)

5. mlkma

mlkma Bit poster

Awesome

Thanks too!!

6. plucas

plucas Bit poster

I tried your directions, but this did not work for me. When it comes full, its still in 648x480 mode, and its 4x3 on my wide screen 20 inch iMac. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

plucas

Last edited: Sep 7, 2006
  7. Marko

Marko Member

I should add that if you want to match the current resolution of your screen (ie for all those widescreen users) so that Parallels in Full screen mode has the same resolution...

1) goto system preferences
    2) select Display and write down what resolution you are currently running under MacOSX.
    3) Use MacOSX resolution size now under the Parallels VM Video Setting (VM Properites Page) ie instead of the 1024x768 resolution I sugested above.

If you are stuck in windowed mode and cannot see the WinXP Task Bar at the bottom as you have chnged your MacOS X resolution of added a Secondary monitor etc... right click on the WinXP desktop area and select 'Properties'. Now change your WinXP Display resolution (Windowed mode resolution) to something a bit smaller.

Now to sum up...
    Setting up Video Resolutions under VM Properties you will set your Parallels Full Screen Mode resolution.
    Changing the WinXP Desktop resolution only affects you Parallels Windowed Mode Resolution.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2006
  8. thtduck

thtduck Bit poster

This worked on Windowed view problem, Thanks

I recently had this problem and thought it was going to be a major thing to figure out. I don't know how the problem started as no settings were changed when it happend (Windowed view too large). Thanks for your clear instructions!