Video Resolution....

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by mathboy3, May 23, 2006.

1. mathboy3

mathboy3 Member

I am running the latest Parallels beta on my MacBook 2.0 Ghz with 1.25 meg of RAM with Windows 2000 Pro. My question is what is the best that I can expect as far as video resolution goes? I can only get 16 colors and 640x480. Should I expect more than that?

2. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

You should install Parallels Tools from menu VM->Install Parallels Tools to have SVGA resolutions in Windows 2000 guest.

3. mathboy3

mathboy3 Member

Thanks.
    That also seemed to make Parallels run faster. Before installing the Tools I was not happy with the performance....now I am.

4. dseg

dseg Junior Member

This doesn't seem to work for Win95 guest OS. Any docs/pointers on how to do this?

Thanks.

5. andgarden

andgarden Member

Are there even 815 chipset drivers for Windows 95?

6. dseg

dseg Junior Member

Uhh, I don't know. I take it this is relevant somehow? (Please enlighten me, I'd like to know where your question comes from).

Cheers.

7. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

It should work (Parallels Tools) for Windows 9x as well. Did you installed it?

8. andgarden

andgarden Member

What I mean is that if you look in device manager, you might get see generic IDE controller and PCI bridge drivers. This can prevent proper video drivers from loading. It's even a problem for Windows 95 on Virtual PC, which emulates a much older intel chipset than Parallels.

I might give a WIn 95 install a shot later and see what I find.

EDIT: Maybe give these drivers a shot ?

Last edited: May 27, 2006
  9. dseg

dseg Junior Member

With win 95 running inside a VM, sometimes the menu item to install "Tools" is greyed out. (This seems to depend on the video resolution/card/monitor combination I selected in the windows control panel).

When it isn't greyed out, I click on the menu item to install and nothing seems to happen.

I think I'll re-install and try again from a clean slate.

Thanks!

10. dseg

dseg Junior Member

I'll give these a try.

Thanks for the info and the drivers.

Cheers!

11. dseg

dseg Junior Member

Further to this, I think I know why the "Tools" menu item is greyed out. If you select a custom video resolution in the VM configuration, this happens (makes sense),

However, installing the "Tools" still doesn't seem to do anything (the cursor changes twice in windows to hour glass) and then nothing apparent changes.

There's a full lsit of video card drivers and monitors available, should a particular combination be used?

Cheers.

12. dseg

dseg Junior Member

Ok, I got this figured out. When you select "Install Parallels Tools", it mounts the vmtools.iso under the cdrom on Windows 95. And then nothing else happens. If you open the cdrom (d: drive) from explorer, the installer is triggered and it runs the Tools installation.

Now if I can only remember how to setup networking under WIn95. *grin* (Keeps complaining about missing netapi.dll).

Cheers,

D.