Virtual hard disk drive disappearing unexpectedly in Windows guest.

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by ptsapralis, Nov 18, 2008.

1. ptsapralis

ptsapralis Bit poster

I have recently upgraded my Parallels Desktop software to version 4.0 (on an APPLE MBP with 2.4 GHz / 4 GB / 200 GB / MACOSX 10.5.5). While at the beginning everything seemed to work OK, during the last couple of days I have been trying to copy a large file (16 GB) into a newly created virtual hard disk of a Windows Server 2003 guest without success. After copying for 10-20 minutes, the system stops and the guest displays a message saying "Cannot copy <filename>: The device is not ready". The target virtual hard disk drive disappears (the System Event Log og the guest system has a message that says "The device has disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal" referring to the target virtual disk drive of the copy process). If a scan for hardware changes on the Disk Drives node of the Device Manager in the Computer Management console, the virtual disk drive re-appears (but the copy process does not resume).

Does anybody know how I can address this issue?

TIA,

2. STim

STim Bit poster

More information is needed to address this issue. First, please reattempt the copying and as soon as it fails, go to Help->Report a problem, send the report and provide its ID. The report will contain a log that might help to understand the issue.

Is this a binary file, or a text file (some log maybe)? Which part of a file is copied before the issue happens, e.g. does it happen at the beginning of copying or in the middle?

Thank you in advance