"Virtual Machine cannot be started ... "message

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Ingot54, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Ingot54

Ingot54 Bit poster

Hi Folks - this is my first post on the forum.

Have searched for this but unable to find solution. Would someone please point me to a thread dealing with the solution, or provide the answe please.

I manually updated to Build 5600 last night, and when attempting to boot XP for the first time on the new build, I received this message:

Virtual machine cannot be started because of the following problem:

File /Users/Ivan/Documents/Parallels/Microsoft Windows XP/winxp.hdd seems to be not a regular file and cannot be used as a hard disk image.

Does anyone understand what happened here, and how to remedy the error?

Thank you

2. Ingot54

Ingot54 Bit poster

Problem solved ...!

Hi folks ...

I have solved my own problem - but almost suffered melt-down doing it.

It seems I had the original PD for Mac disc still in the iMac and the file was trying to write to it, or perhaps treating it as the HDD MAC!

Unsure exactly. But I found removing it did solve the problem ... dramatically!

To some of you this may be elementary but to a struggling new Mac owner this is quite left field stuff not in the rule book!

I laugh at myself because I will learn as I go - and while I am here would tell you I recommend the new build 5600. The file swapping I do between XP and Mac is suited to the ground with this - I am a currency trader and rely on the XP OS in order to run the charting software (MetaTrader4) which as far as I know, has not been written for Mac ... yet ... if ever!

Sorry to disturb the forum - perhaps next time it might be a more positive thing worth posting.

Best wishes

Ingot54