virtual OS Integration

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by topshot, Sep 1, 2006.

1. topshot

topshot Bit poster

Hi all. I have a wish that I haven't really seen here and it seems more pertinent now that crossover Mac exists (even if it is rubbish and Beta).

Apart from the usual wishes of 3D support and better USB support, my wish is that when you load windows XP, you can hide the OS and have the Apps showing with a Mac OS Application Bar.

So let me try and explain that: The windows background is hidden from view revealing the Mac OS Background. The Start Bar is also hidden but shows as a icon in the Mac OS Dock (much like in MS Virtual PC). The Windows Apps look like Mac Apps (much like Crossover Office).

That way, I'd never have to feel like I'm running windows. IT would make it all seem that much more integrated.

I think this could be done fairly simply. All you really need is to have Windows activate a Mac OS theme, and then unhook the Windows layers so that they can be displayed in the Mac OS. Then again, I don't know anything about this kind of programming.

So, Andrew, have a quick look into it and see if it is a quick one that can be written. I'd happily test it for you.

2. David Corrales

David Corrales Hunter

Actually, it'd be really complex to implement stuff like that because you'd have to know every version of every guest operating system and it's quirks to change it's theme.
    You can imagine the fun of hacking undocumented options in Windows Xp, Windows Xp SP1, Windows Xp SP2... without minding all the hot fixes which -might- or not change API's or definition in critical files.
    Then you'd have to make a Mac theme for windows that you can freely use to convert windows.
    Sorry to be pessimistic, but that's not the point of hardware/machine emulation. That's GUI eye candy.