VirtualBox import errors

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Michael Jackson, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Michael Jackson

Michael Jackson Bit poster

I just downloaded Parallels as part of the MacUpdate promo. I was hoping to simply migrate a pair of VirtualBox hard drives to parallels but alas, it does not seem like this is possible.

Has anyone posted any instructions or "how to" articles about migrating a VirtualBox 2.2 hard drive to Parallels version 4?

Thanks
    Mike Jackson

2. AaronS

AaronS Bit poster

I'm in the same boat too -- got this via the MU promo. I've got 3 VMs (XP, W7, & Linux). I stripped the VB extensions from the XP install, fire up the Parallels Transporter, point to my xp.xml file, but get the following error:

If I cancel, nothing happens. If I continue, a fraction of a second later, it says it's imported the disk (all 10GB???), but no such luck -- the folder's there, but there's no disk.

I tried installing the Agent on the Windows VM, but I don't think that's the right approach for a VM on the same box.

Installing Windows under VirtualBox was easier than this... >rolls-eyes<

(Side note: I had to use Google to find these forums. Does Parallels not believe in creating links to the support forums from the support menu??? Are these not "official" forums?)

3. Tim Kurylowicz

Tim Kurylowicz Bit poster

Me too

Hi all

I'm in exactly the same boat. I've tried performing the same operation with the Virtualbox machine running, but with same result.

If someone could tell me which file to select when the Parallels Transporter asks me to "Specify the path to the third party virtual machine you wish to migrate to Parallels virtual machine", I'd be most grateful!

4. Tim Kurylowicz

Tim Kurylowicz Bit poster

This might help

Found this in the Transporter User guide:

Dynamic volumes are not migrated

Only basic volumes can be migrated. You cannot migrate dynamic volumes with Parallels Transporter.

The only way to migrate the data stored on a dynamic disk is to copy this data to a basic disk on the host computer, and then to migrate this basic disk.

That's definitely the case in my situation.., i'll have to do this manually

good luck all!