Virtue Desktops and RC Full-Screen issue

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by joshv, May 18, 2006.

1. joshv

joshv Member

Reporting a bug I would like to see fixed in next RC.

Running Parallels RC and Virtue Desktop (v0.52r138) on MBP 17".

With the VM in full-screen, if I switch to another desktop, the VM flips out of full-screen. Rather weird behavior, and it didn't do this in Beta6 - it used to flip from the full-screen VM to the correct virtue desktop seamlessly.

If we could have the old functionality back, it would be great!

Thanks.

2. jeliker

jeliker Junior Member

I can confirm firm this behavior. I am using a MBP with Virtues and can no longer flip from desktop to desktop while retaining fullscreen mode in Parallels. IMHO that was a great way to use it (and dropped a few jaws when I would show it).

3. joshv

joshv Member

Dropped every jaw I showed it to....

It's a Mac, no it's a PC, it's a Mac, no it's a PC. It was great...

4. mcg

mcg Hunter

Yeah, it's really sweet, isn't it :)

5. kaufman

kaufman Member

Its even worse for me, I have the switch desktop functions mapped to [Control]-[Shift]-[Left Arrow] and [Control]-[Shift]-[Right Arrow]. Parallels has started trapping those as well. It looks like they have implemented code to trap all of the keys.

This needs to be configurable as they have now disabled a number of functions needed by the system.

Michael

6. maverick808

maverick808 Hunter

Yup, trapping all the keys is a bad idea. I don't know why they've done that. Both full-screen switching and keyboard capture were perfect in Beta 6. The RC is definitely a step back in my view.

7. macmansc

macmansc Junior Member

It seems that things are working properly for me. The only problem I have is going to full screen, I don't have a visible mouse cursor right away.

8. zyprexa

zyprexa Junior Member

I agree. I use VirtueDesktop and Parallels. Being able to switch between two full screen modes with Virtue was a very important feature. This is definitely a step back.

Also, Parallels boots into fullscreen mode but now changes the MacOS resolution so all my OSx windows get resized. I went into preferences and changed the setting but I still get the same effect.

9. kaufman

kaufman Member

I agree, but it is not quite as bad as it seems. If you do [Control]-[Alt] to release the cursor then you can use your Virtuekeystrokes again.

Michael

10. maverick808

maverick808 Hunter

If you do that in full screen it drops you out of full screen and flickers for a while as it resizes. Before you could switch instantly, now any switch to or from full screen takes quite a while.

11. joshv

joshv Member

That was fixed for me by updating the dirvers in the VM.

12. kaufman

kaufman Member

THat's interesting. You are the second person to say that it drops out of full screen mode when you switch desktops. Mine does not do that. I can switch desktops multiple times without ever leaving full screen mode. Odd. Did you update the client tools?

Michael

13. maverick808

maverick808 Hunter

Yes I installed the client tools again on my iMac and even did a complete reinstall of Parallels and XP on my MBP and get the same behaviour on both.

When you say switch desktops I assume you mean using Virtue yes? What keyboard shortcut are you using to do that? The Apple key no longer works in the RC now and I can't find any other key combo that works either.

14. kaufman

kaufman Member

Correct, I am using VIrtue to switch desktops.

To switch desktops, I do a

[Control]-[Shift] (to release the input key)
    [Control]-[Shift]-[Left Arrow] (to switch away from the Windows XP full screen)
    [Control]-[Shift]-[Right Arrow] (to switch back to the Windows XP full screen)

15. mcg

mcg Hunter

Yeah, mine drops out too.

16. quixos

quixos Junior Member

clarification request

when using virtue desktop to switch desktops, parallels leaves full screen mode.

please clarify whether this is a purposeful change, or a bug.

your truly,
    paid customer ;)

Last edited: May 19, 2006
  17. kaufman

kaufman Member

On my MBP when using virtue desktop to switch desktops, parallels does not leave full screen mode.

Have you updated the client tools? What keystroke sequence are you using to switch?

18. quixos

quixos Junior Member

i will change keys and experiment. will edit this post with my results.

19. tacit_one

tacit_one Pro

This is a designed change. Parallels was decided to leave full-screen mode in the case of lost focus. This was designed to prevent unpredictable behaviour of application in the case of cmd+tab-like key combinations.
    Virtue Desktop causes Parallels to loose focus, as the result - it leaves fullscreen.
    No way was found to distinguish reasons of focus loose between virtue desktop switch and user cmd+tab command - that is why for the moment it was desided to keep the most "safe" behaviour.
    But we will try to find a reasonable workaround for Virtue Desktop application asap.

20. quixos

quixos Junior Member

i'm sure what you said means something. i myself didn't experience anything unexpected. it just worked, and it was fluid.

disappointing.

Last edited: May 19, 2006