Vista 'Aero' working in Parallels (kind of)

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by nicka, Feb 26, 2007.

1. nicka

nicka Member

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/530/picture1lb5.jpg

You should check out the image (Above).

There is a tool out that I've being using for many months called Vista Transformation Pack. Recently the final version of it was released, and it effectively makes your Windows XP installation as 'Vistaish' as possible (without actually opening your wallet(.

This recent version is quite astonishing really in its ability to transform XP. Quite honestly, I can't figure out why I actually paid for the real deal to begin with. This latest pack gives XP that polished look that I enjoy from Vista, but it actually runs respectably in Parallels (a looks a heck of a lot better with its faux Aero). It even offers the sidebar, the thumbnail view, hides the menu bar, gives you new icons, sounds, wallpapers, etc. Quite brilliant really, and free.

I'd suggest anyone who wishes to experience the Vista look first hand without putting your hand in your wallet should try this out first. It doesn't replace Vista, but it does replicate the UI and feel its quite well!

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/Vista-Transformation-Pack.shtml

2. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

when people talk aero tho, theyre looking for the full on 3d experience rather than just the "vista look". This doesnt do the funky 3d alt+tab thang etc does it ?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1hfKoUWEdHo

3. nicka

nicka Member

True

You're right. Though, I've found that Vista is slower than XP. It's quite annoying really. As of now, in my opinion Vista is a dog in parallels, and ugly without 'aero'. So I went back to XP, but wanted that 'aero' look and feel as I feel XP's 'luna' is dated.

I'm not saying it's a 100% replacement, but it does an astonishing good job. As for Flip 3D in the video you linked, that free utility does not replicate that. Though Flip 3D, or Mac OSX expose can be replicated with a program called top desk. It has a 30-day trial. It works exactly like Vista's Flip 3-D and works in XP.

I tried to use top desk in paralles, but it wouldn't do it. It needs 16MB VRAM and Direct X 8.1 or better. However it works fine in boot camp. So in a sense, in boot camp you get 85% of the "aero" feeling in XP and your games still run better :-/

Here's hoping to true 'aero' support from parallels as soon as possible.

4. chrisj303

chrisj303 Member

I installed this on my mac ages ago (v.6) and thought it was horrid - all glitchy and buggy, it's painfully obvious that it's not real.
    There are some really nice 'vista'd' copies of XP floating about the net though (not transformation pack). - i really want to post a link to one in particular, but i'd probably get banned!!

5. fbx

fbx Hunter

well, pm me! do we have pm here?