Vista and non-gaming 3d Acceleration - does it matter?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by darreln, Jun 8, 2007.

1. darreln

darreln Member

Here's one that I haven't found an answer to.

I don't plan on playing games on my Vista VM, and thus the 3d acceleration option is currently turned off. However, considering that modern OS' such as Vista probably use 3d acceleration for the basic OS operations, will I see any increase in performance by turning on this option for OS & Office only? Or is the overhead of doing so more detrimental to performance (e.g. CPU usage, Memory usage) than leaving it off and staying in "2d" land?

Darrel

P.S. Great product and great release!

2. bobbyt

bobbyt Hunter

I don't see any difference... Esentially Aero under vista is not yet supported, and therefore the actual interface is still the default blue... Once they get to support DirectX 9, Aero will work and you will finally be able to get the bells and whistles interface...

For the record, there are other non-gaming reasons for supporting 3D as well... There are certain non-gaming apps that benefit from 3D support, all be it I don't know the names of any off the top of my head...

3. darreln

darreln Member

I am aware that Aero is not yet supported, and i am also aware of some professional apps that require 3d support, but I was mostly curious about the OS and how it is utilizing directx or hardware acceleration, if at all.

D

4. bobbyt

bobbyt Hunter

Outside of Aero & 3rd party apps, 3D offers no benefit to the OS to my knowledge...