Vista Guest on XP Pro Sp2 Host - IP Conflict

Discussion in 'Windows Guest OS Discussion' started by nommaz, Apr 21, 2007.

1. nommaz

nommaz Bit poster

After installing Vista as guest OS on XP Pro Sp2 - I had problems with not having a Network interface. Then I installled Parallel tools which solved that problem but now I have ip conflict problems with the host and the guest cannot get an ip address after trying many options.

The host as a discinct name (lfin015) than the guest (paravista) and host is on a windows domain. Assigning a static IP didnt work either which I thought was extra strange. I have attached the relevant event log: View attachment ipconflict.txt

Please help.

I also have Pardus (Linux) installed on the same XP host and I have no problems, networking or otherwise with it.

2. clh

clh Bit poster

Something binding to 0.0.0.0? MAC address conflict? Huh?

I'm having the same symptoms. In my event log, I see lots of DHCP errors, and many instance of the following TCP/IP error, which seem like it may be at the root of all the trouble:

"The system detected an address conflict for IP address 0.0.0.0 with the system having network hardware address 00-19-7D-5C-13-BB. The the local interface has been disabled."

This MS Knowledge Base article makes it seem like maybe there's a MAC address conflict.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/164903

But no other machines on my network have that MAC address.

So basically I'm just confused.

(BTW, I'm also running a Vista guest under Parallels Workstation 2.2 build 2112 on a XP SP2 host.)

3. gnauck

gnauck Bit poster

exactly the same problem here, IP conflicts and static IP's don't work either.

Host: Windows XP SP2
    Guest: Vista Ultimate
    Parallels Version: 2.2 Build 2204

Alex

4. ives

ives Bit poster

I have the same problem

Hi...
    I have the same problem...
    Anybody has a solution?

5. cwinterb

cwinterb Bit poster

Sounds very similar to the problem I have with a Server 2008 guest on a Vista host. IP conflicts and a static IP doesn't work either. My router (doing DHCP) reports the MAC address of the virtual machine as 00:00:00:00:00 and allocates it multiple IPs. Very odd. I have Ubuntu and XP VMs and they work fine.

http://forums.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=20892

6. muffinb

muffinb Bit poster

I am having the same problem running Vista Guest on XP sp3. I just cannot conntect. Does anyone have answers for this.

7. Willis43

Willis43 Bit poster

This is an old post, but I'm now experiencing similar issues and don't see any other related discussions of the problem. I'm running Windows 7 under Parallels 16. For about the last two weeks I've started to get IP conflict errors quite frequently - at least every few days, and usually in the early morning hours. Looking at Windows System Event Log it says "The system detected an address conflict for IP address 0.0.0.0 with the system having network hardware address.... Network operations on this system may be disrupted as a result." Details show the conflict is caused by my virtual machine, but no other identifiable device on the network has the IP address 0.0.0.0. Upon further review, I see that in every case I have the IP conflict there is a 'Browser' event in the System Event Log 1 second prior to the TCPIP error message that "The browser has forced an election on Network\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_ .... because a master browser was stopped." Occasionally I also see an event between the browser error and TCPIP error that "The TCP/IP Helper Service entered the stopped state." and "The TPC/IP Helper Service was successfully sent a stop control. The reason specified was 0x40030011 [Operating System: Network Connectivity (Planned)]"

I have no idea why my virtual machine would suddenly start acting this way other than I upgraded to Parallels version 16 approximately 1 week before the errors started occurring. Good news is I don't see any obvious disruptions caused by the supposed IP address conflict, but who knows what issues are occurring in the background...

Anybody have an idea on how to fix this??? Do you manage to resolve your prior IP address conflicts?