Vista RC1 hangs on startup

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation for Windows and Linux' started by techlover, Nov 29, 2006.

1. techlover

techlover Bit poster

I successfully installed Vista Rc1 as a Guest OS. My host OS is XP. In doing so, the VM computer had to reboot w/o incident. I installed Parallels Tools in order to get proper networking. I had to install a codec for Media Player - xvid. Although the video played, the sound was way out of sync with the video.

I shut down Vista through the normal OS shutdown process and was returned to the Parallels console. However, upon rebooting, Vista hangs no matter what choice I make: normal, safe, last known good, prompt. The last driver listed as loading was crcdisk.sys. It appears that I'm going to have to remove the installation and start all over. I'm not sure if there is a way to use the install DVD to repair the installation. I will attempt to change the boot order putting the DVD first.

Any thoughts before I go through all of this again only to find the same problem?

Thanks,

Larry

Last edited: Nov 29, 2006
  2. xldev

xldev Bit poster

I had the same problem with crcdisk.sys and Vista RTM. I found that if you edit the VM and remove the USB resource it will boot up just fine.

3. techlover

techlover Bit poster

Thanks. I'll give it a try. I did a restore and removed all the Parallel Tools. Afterwards, it booted okay. Then I added one tool at a time. The only one I haven't added yet related to Files. Could be that the Parallel Tools notion of being the thing that broke Vista is a Red Herring and something else changed.

4. xldev

xldev Bit poster

Actually you might be right about the Parallel Tools. My Vista RTM VM just started freezing up again at crcdisk.sys, I'll do a restore and remove the tools to see if I can get it to freeze up again.

5. JBHorner

JBHorner Bit poster

I have the same exact problem. I uninstalled Parallels Tools, but still have the same issue. (Freezing on start-up.) Essentially, Vista is dead. This is the RTM version.

Joel

6. xldev

xldev Bit poster

I just tried to run my VM of Vista RTM that was freezing on Parallels for Windows on my Parallels for Mac and it loads up correctly there. So the same VM works fine in Mac but freezes on Windows on the crcdisk.sys driver.

7. constant

constant Forum Maven

Well that answers that then. No more surprises to be found with this one.

8. JBHorner

JBHorner Bit poster

Does anyone at Parallels read these with consistency? I've submitted an issue on this, and I get the distinct feeling that there is no knowledge of this issue.

Joel

9. scotttam

scotttam Bit poster

I am having the same problem. Installed RC1 in Parallels Beta and it worked fine. Once I installed Parallels Tools, it now hangs on startup. The only thing I can do to get in is run Vista in Safe Mode and I can get in.

I have tried disabling all Parallels Tools and Parallels Coherence in Vista from the configuration options and that didn't work. I tried disabling USB, folder sharing and coherence and the same thing. Anyone have any ideas? Does support look at these postings?

10. SiTWulf

SiTWulf Bit poster

Same problem in here... no report for Parallels????

11. europe_fm

europe_fm Bit poster

Still a problem

Looks like Parallels still hasn't read this forum or done anything. Fast forrward, I have the business edition of Vista and latest version of Parallels. It stalls on crcdisk.sys. Tried all the ideas and even unintalled the tools. Booted one time after that and now stalls and dies like a big dog. Worked fine until today. Parallels are you listening, do a search in google on this.