Vista RC2 + Parallels 1922 work great !

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by pducharme, Oct 8, 2006.

1. pducharme

pducharme Bit poster

Hi all,

I just want to let everyone knows that Windows Vista RC2 work well under Parallels build 1922. I attached the downloaded ISO from Microsoft and then boot Parallels VM and the OS installed without any problem. Also, I did the compatibility WinXP SP2 tricks to install the P. Tools in Vista, which is also working.

Patrick D.

2. waterhead37

waterhead37 Member

Patrick,

I posted the following elsewhere but I'd be interested if you got shared folders or the mouse to work and if so, can you give me any tips?
    Thanks.

Running fine on my MBP 17 inch after install from a DVD (I burnt the ISO download) using the Vista experimental settings choice on Parallels 1922 RC2

Minor things seen so far..

Parallels Tools seems only to have a couple of things working, no shared folders! - and I can't get the mouse out of the Vista window wthout Ctrl-Alt.

It seems that the CPU load is about two times higher than Parallels running XP - showing 104% in Activity Monitor even when doing nothing.

Chris

Unquote

Last edited: Oct 8, 2006
  3. mvk

mvk Member

You can actually boot into the Vista install disk directly from the ISO file without burning a DVD - by setting the CD/DVD option for Emulation to "Use Image file" and pint it to the file. Still needed to set the compatibility for PD Tools to XP, but everything installed and now have full us of shared folders and the cursor etc. CHeck the PD Tools program in Windows to make sure all compoents installed and reinstll if needed. The only issue so far is that the audio is choppy.

4. dayjimenez

dayjimenez Bit poster

did you do a new install or is it possible to upgrade the previous RC1 install?

5. ggbrown

ggbrown Bit poster

I followed the instructions for manually installing the Parallels Tools drivers.

Although it did get my network going, my mouse and video drivers weren't updated.

I also see my cpu usage at 104% on my 15" MBP when RC2 is running.

Grant

6. waterhead37

waterhead37 Member

MVK,

Thanks. I guess however that I am being really dumb. All I see in Vista are the Clipboard and Time synchronisation tools.
    Where and how do you set the PD Tools for XP compatibilty?

Thanks,
    Chris

7. mvk

mvk Member

Parallels acutally mounts a virtual CD when installing Tools. I selected the Paralles menu item to installTools, but stopped the installatin within Windows. I then "Explored" the CD from My Computer (not click on the CD since it will run the installer) and copied the files to my Windows hard drive. From there I found the isntall exe and under properties changed it to XP comapability. THe install was fresh without RC1.

8. waterhead37

waterhead37 Member

MVK,
    Many thanks, that does the trick.

I still have a huge CPU load compared with XP though. It's fun to play with all these VMs but for real work with the few PC programs I need, XP is the answer for the moment.

9. Nosix

Nosix Member

I Installed Vista RC2 (from the .iso file mounted as CD/DVD-ROM 1 in the VM) and used XP Compatibility Mode to run Parallels Tools and Driver installation (mounted /Library/Parallels/Tools/vmtools.iso as CD/DVD-ROM 1). The VM was created using the default Vista settings.

Mouse, Video, Network, and Sound are working. The sound no longer skips in this version and SlingPlayer 1.4 will run.

I am also getting 105% CPU usage on OSX activity monitor (from Parallels Desktop) with no programs running in Vista compared with 7% OSX CPU usage with XP. (The Task Monitor in both Vista and XP report about 98-99% idle.)

Something about Vista RC2 is causing Parallels to use Host CPU resources even though the Task Manager in the Vista VM indicates Idle.

Parallels 1922
    Vista RC2, Windows XP SP2
    Mac OS X 10.4.8
    Intel iMac 20" Core Duo 2GHz, 1.5 GB

Last edited: Oct 8, 2006
  10. adminuser

adminuser Bit poster

I'm seeing the same CPU as those above.

Any thoughts or fixes yet?

11. joem

joem Forum Maven

Hey folks,

Vista is BETA.

Parallels Vista support is EXPERIMENTAL

It's a miracle it works at all.

If Vista is true to history, there will be several minor updates and a service pack or two before it's stable.

Parallels isn't going to be a stable platform for Vista until after Vista ships and the Parallels folks have a chance to work with the shipping product for a while.

Treat it as a technology preview, which is really all it can be.

12. Nosix

Nosix Member

That's why I'm reporting my findings in this forum. The people at Parallels have made amazing progress in fixing problems and adding features with the benefit of feedback form the beta testing community. Also, if someone finds a workaround, it's going to be posted on this forum, which is excellent.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2006
  13. c789a123

c789a123 Junior Member

Forgive my stupid question, but I can not find the announcement anywhere of build 1922. Where can I download it? And generally how can I find the latest build?

14. MacManux

MacManux Bit poster

Hi c789a123,

go to www.parallels.com , an on the fron page, in the "parallels desktop for mac", click on the link called "New! Update RC2 of Parallels Desktop for Mac is available."

That'll directly get you there

Manuel

15. harryc

harryc Member

Is there anyone running Vista RC2 on Parallels 1922 build that is not getting 100% CPU utilization? Also, I'd be curious as to what OSX is saying as far as what is consuming the processors? Probably just the Parallels process would be my guess. (top from console)

16. Nosix

Nosix Member

On my system, it is the Parallels process that is showing 105% utilization.

17. Yosam

Yosam Bit poster

I have the same high CPU utilization. I work in a company where they test the releases and they informed me that this issue is not only Parallels but they are experiencing this on non-VM installs as well. Seems RC2 is a dog to quote the director of IT.

Hang in there I don't think this is a Paralles issue (Maybe)

Yosam

18. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

It is more than slightly possible that Vista is running a lot of debug code that expects everyone to mail home screens to Redmond when things break. But that aside, it has been widely documented that this is the most bloated pig to come out of Redmond ever, so expect any system to grunt and groan some when trying to run it and anything else.

dp