Vista VPN Question

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by cjohnson27713, Oct 16, 2009.

1. cjohnson27713

cjohnson27713 Bit poster

I just installed Parallels 4.0 and Vista Business. I have successfully shared my OSX VPN connection with my Vista virtual computer. However, in order for this to work I must send ALL of my internet traffic on my OSX through my VPN connection. I prefer to ONLY send my business traffic through my VPN (not all traffic) and this is how I have my OSX VPN connection normally set up.

Unfortunately, when I am in Vista and I try to get to one of my business servers behind my firewall Vista does not find the remote computer. Vista will ONLY find the remote computer when my OSX VPN connection sends ALL traffic through the VPN.

Is there something I can change on the Vista side to have Vista recognize the VPN connection in OSX and send business traffic through their when needed?

Thanks!

2. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

You need to connect to VPN and run /Application/Utilities/Terminal and execute the command "scutil --dns" and identify which one of the DNS servers is VPN.

Then, at the Vista-side, open LocalAreaConnection preferences -> TCP/IP v4 -> and make this dns-server be Primary DNS Server. Secondary should be 10.211.55.1 - Parallels Shared Networking DNS server. This should make the trick.

Let me know the output of scutil --dns if you have troubles with identifying (it is ok to send output via PrivateMessage if you are considering this information somehow private)

Actually, this behaviour is some lack of functionality of ParallelsDesktop 4.

3. cjohnson27713

cjohnson27713 Bit poster

That worked!! Thanks so much for your help.