Volumes Folder No Longer Appears in Parallels Shared Folders?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by EatingPie, Jan 4, 2009.

1. EatingPie

EatingPie Junior Member

I'm running PD4, XP SP3, Parallels 3540. Mac OS X 10.5.6.

The Parallels Shared Folders no longer shows "Volumes" in the Host directory of the Parallels Shared Folders. This prevents me from opening files on external hard drives mounted on the Mac. This used to work perfectly in PD3 (or maybe it's 10.5.6?).

The (gnu ls) listing for /Volumes shows the following:

% ls -ld /Volumes/
    drwxrwxrwt 5 root admin 170 Jan 4 11:33 /Volumes//

As a work around, I can actually make symbolic links to directories on the external drives, and I can navigate through the symlinks in Parallels Shared Folders.

-Pie

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Please enable SmartMount from VM configuration

3. EatingPie

EatingPie Junior Member

Thanks for the reply, however Smart Mount was already enabled.

I suspect it's a permissions issue. Even as admin user, I cannot make a symlink to the /Volumes folder unless I use sudo. I believe 10.5.6 is what introduced the issue, but I'm not positive about that.

-Pie

4. EatingPie

EatingPie Junior Member

No Fixes Yet?

I have smart mount enabled, and /Volumes does not appear in Host.

As a work-around, I used Configuration->Shared Folders, and checked "User-defined Mac OS X Folders." There I added the path /Volumes. Now /Volumes appears at the top-level of my Parallels Shared Folders. However, it still does not appear in the Host folder.

I am now using Parallels 4 3810, and the most up-to-date Parallels tools. This is under Mac OS X 10.5.6.

-Pie

5. John@Parallels

I will clarify situation, I suppose that due to SmartMont feature, Shared Folder drivers hides it

6. John@Parallels

It is default behavior for now, Volumes are hidden by Parallels Shared Folders driver, use Smart Mount instead to see all Volumes connected to Mac

7. DaTa

DaTa Hunter

Hello, EatingPie,

First, I would like to ask whether you can see Volumes in Finder? I can not. Because Volumes appears to be hidden protected folder.
    Just open \\.psf\Host on Windows, click on Tools -> Folder options -> View and select Show hidden files and folders.

Otherwise you can add Volumes as User defined shared folder (see picture attached)

Attached Files:

• PSF.png
      PSF.png
      File size:
      302.3 KB
      Views: