Weird multiple VM memory allocation constraints

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Mr SA, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Mr SA

Mr SA Member

Build 1940. Mac Pro, 10GB. A decent amount of memory allocated through Parallels -> Preferences.

The first opened (first to open, not even to run) VM window can be allocated up to 1400MB and no more.

The second opened (not run) VM window can be allocated up to 1000MB and no more.

The third opened (not run) VM window can be allocated up to 1000MB and no more.

If you open a fourth VM window (not running), you get problems with windows throughout your OS X environment, however you can allocate up to 1400MB memory to this machine and close down one of your earlier machines and it will run happily.

These constraints apply regardless of the sequence in which you start the VMs running, so it is entirely down to a Parallels bug.

Either fix it or document it, please.

2. joem

joem Forum Maven

Now there's a refreshingly reasonable request. You made my day.

3. Victor

Victor Member

At least he said "please" :D

4. Mr SA

Mr SA Member

As an Ops manager for a software company, I have had responsibility for a support desk. I don't expect every bug to be fixed immediately. In this instance the program behaviour is consistent, if opaque.

Far easier to document the behaviour as it stands to avoid other users being led up the garden path. I hope i asked nicely enough. It is quite simple:

5. jackgarvey

jackgarvey Bit poster

Same problem here...

I have tried removing programs and files to free up space, increasing the virtual drive space, I have tried updating to the newest version of parallels, I am not running multiple OS's and I have plenty of RAM available (1 GIG) and yet I keep getting these errors even withthe latest build...