Went over to the dark side

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by macosnerd, Jun 28, 2007.

1. macosnerd

macosnerd Member

Well, after a lengthy compare between Parallels and Fusion I bought fusion and I'm giving on parallels.

Just the other day I'm using parallels 2.5 and every time, I open a citrix window to access a server I clock out, and it sits there with a Spinning Beachball of Death for about 30 seconds. Very frustrating when you're trying to manage several servers at a given time and for what ever reason I'm getting the SBoD.

No such issues with Fusion, far more stable faster (hasn't crashed once where as parallels is frequent). Now some people may say its a new install of windows and so a fresher copy will be faster an such but I used vmware's converter to conver the parallels vm to fusion's vm, so any problems with the parallels install would have been carried over to Fusion's

While I'm sure much of the response from the parallels faithful will be of indignation and "don't let the door hit you on the way out" type of responses. I post this as a hope that Parallels gets their act together. I paid 80 dollars for something that used to work, now a couple of updates later it fails to. I haven't even tried upgrading to 3.0 not worth the risk given all of the posts here.

2. w7ox

w7ox Hunter

My response is good luck with the new product.

I've had 100% success with PD 2.5 and, after some minor glitches while upgrading (all resolved in an afternoon), PD 3 is working flawlessly for me -- as it seems to for many others.

Clearly there are known issues -- like the absence of Image Tool from the PD 3 release, meaning we cannot resize the Win hdd; I'm lucky in that my Win FAT32 HDD was upped to 30 GB in PD 2.5 some time ago.

What is strange is how some of us have had few or no problems while others just can't get it to work. Clearly PD 3 needs improvement.

Phil

3. Stevamundo

Stevamundo Pro

I never had real big problems myself. Now my only problem with Parallels that in Vista with RealPlayer and Windows Media Player the videos are very choppy. Sometimes the sound in Windows Media Player is choppy too.