What is going to happen??

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Apple Silicon (M1) Mac' started by KathleenB2, Jul 13, 2021.

1. KathleenB2

KathleenB2 Bit Poster

Last week I purchased a new M1 24" Mac. After receiving it and realizing about the issues related to Windows on the ARM machines when trying to restore the VM from my old machine with Time Machine backup, I almost sent it back. But I decided to at least try moving forward with Parallels. I am glad I did. I was able to download and install a new VM with the Windows Insider Preview. I purchased a Windows 10 Pro key for a very good price and haven't looked back. I have not found any issues with the new installation of Parallels and the Windows preview build. And I am enjoying the Mac side of the M1 machine.

My only question is this: Will the preview build ever "end"? Will we have to buy a Windows 10 ARM version of Windows? Will we have to buy Windows 11? And if so on any of these, will we have to rebuild the VM with a newer/final version of the Windows ARM? I hope not. Many hours spent in rebuilding current VM with software and settings.

2. AlexeyY1

AlexeyY1 Bit Poster

The first workable release build will be Windows 11 RTM. You do need to buy new licence if you already have licence for Windows 10.
    As for Windows 10, it's very unlikely that there will be new builds beyond 21390. Probably, last autumn release of Windows 10 will be just build 19144 (which is not workable on M1).

3. KathleenB2

KathleenB2 Bit Poster

Thank you for the reply. Will we have to build a new VM or upgrade current one?
    Can we just stay with the Windows 10 for a while? Will there be any updates at all to the last build?

4. MichaelH63

MichaelH63 Kilo Poster

The insider build might expire eventually. I don't really know if that is the case, though. Usually they get updated regularly and it was never an issue. In your case there won't be the option to update to a newer build anytime soon, though.
    Once Parallels gets the software ready to support the required features for Windows 11, you should be able to move to the Dev Channel and install new builds of Windows 11. In that case you won't need to create a new VM.
    You can't buy Windows 10 on ARM. Microsoft is only selling it to OEM manufacturers. That's why we have to use Insider builds. You can however use a license key for Windows 10 Pro to activate Windows on ARM if you want to.
    Windows 11 will be a free upgrade and there's no need to buy a new license key.
    If Microsoft decides to sell Windows 11 on ARM to end users, you will be able to install Windows 11 without the need for Insider Previews. In that case you might have to create a new VM. To my knowledge MS hasn't announced whether they will offer Windows 11 on ARM to end users yet.

5. KathleenB2

KathleenB2 Bit Poster

Thank you so much.

So if Microsoft doesn't develop versions of Windows which work on ARM hardware, does that mean that the future of Parallels is limited? I have been using Parallels for essential software for over 10 years. I don't think I could continue with Mac machines without the ability to run Windows. Microsoft Access is my most essential software and not available on Office for Mac.

6. MichaelH63

MichaelH63 Kilo Poster

Microsoft does develop versions of Windows that work on ARM hardware. Both Win 10 and 11 work just fine on ARM. But so far they only license it to OEM manufacturers to pre-install on their computers. That's why there are no regular versions of Windows for us to download and we're forced to use the Insider builds.
    I really hope that they will change that with Windows 11. ARM processors are much more common now than they used to be. And they have certainly worked hard on improving the usefulness of Windows 10 on ARM recently.