What is latest released Windows 11 ARM, and how do I get it?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by Mike Boreham, Nov 15, 2023.

1. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Pro

I have been on release channel versions for a long time getting regular OS updates, but these seem to have stopped.
    I am on Windows 11 Pro, 21H2, OS build 22000.2538
    I think I have got left behind as I see mentions of 22H2 and 23H2.
    Thanks for any help.

2. Adeboye Adeotan

Adeboye Adeotan Staff Member

Hello Mike,

You can get the latest Windows 11 ARM build, by either
    1. Starting your virtual machine.
    2. Select Start > Settings > Windows Update, then select Check for updates.
    3. Wait for your updates to complete the installation

OR creating a new virtual machine.
    1. Launch Parallels Desktop.
    2. Click on the Parallels icon in the Mac menu bar > Control Center > click on the + sign on the top right corner of Control Center
    3. Wait for the installation assistant window to come up and select "Get Windows 11 from Microsoft".
    4. On the "Download and Install Windows 11" page, click the "Install Windows" button.
    5. Windows will begin downloading, wait for it to finish.
    6. Parallels Desktop Installation assistant will begin installing windows, please wait for the process to complete.
    7. When the installation is complete, you will be presented with the Microsoft EULA. Click I accept to complete the process.

3. MichaelH63

MichaelH63 Most valuable person

Make sure that you have "get the newest updates" toggled on in the Windows Update settings. (It's possible that the toggle is not available on your old build.)
    If you still can't download the 23H2 update, check the instructions to force the update here and change 22H2 to 23H2.

Mike Boreham likes this.
  4. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Pro

Thanks. The first method is the standard Windows Update way I have been updating regularly for last two years, but has now been saying I am up to date for a few weeks. This is why, on discovering that 22H2 and 23H2 exist, I asked.

Should Windows Update be giving me 22H2 or 23H2 at this time ?

Is it a matter of just waiting for Windows Update? I am happy to do that but wanted to check I am not in a dead end branch of the Update paths?

5. MichaelH63

MichaelH63 Most valuable person

In theory, yes. But I wasn't able to get either 22H2 or 23H2 without forcing the update.

6. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Pro

Thanks again. In 21H2 there is no option to "get the newest updates". So I updated to 22H2 with the gpedit method in your link. 22H2 does show the "get newest updates" but it is greyed out because it is "not available due to your organisations policy".

So I updated to 23H2 by the gpedit method again.

Do you know how to enable the organisation policy to enable "get the newest updates" ?

Thanks again for great help.

7. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Pro

I used the method in https://www.elevenforum.com/t/enabl...s-as-soon-as-available-in-windows-11.13821/#2 to turn on "get newest updates". That's successfully turned it on but it is still greyed out due to Group Policy. I can't change the slider off/on, so would be grateful for any info about changing my group policy.

8. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Pro

I have solved this. In the Windows Update section of Group Policy editor, ("Local Computer Policy\Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update" chose "Manage Updates offered from Windows Update". Then chose "Enable optional updates". In the pane that opens chose "Users can select which optional updates to receive" in dropdown on the left. The notes about this say:-
    • If "Users can select which optional updates to receive" is selected, users can select which optional updates to get by visiting Settings > Windows Update > Advanced options > Optional updates. Users can also enable the toggle "Get the latest updates as soon as they're available" to automatically receive optional updates and gradual feature rollouts.
    I can now use the on/off slider to get updates as soon as available.

MichaelH63 likes this.