What makes Parallels 17 incompatible with Windows 11

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Apple Silicon (M1) Mac' started by MichaelH63, Aug 28, 2021.

1. MichaelH63

MichaelH63 Kilo Poster

With the newly released PC Health Check Preview, we now have a better idea why Windows still shows the M1 Mac as incompatible.

1) Parallels claims in https://kb.parallels.com/en/122702#section2 that a TPM Chip isn't required to upgrade to Windows 11 in a virtual machine. "A virtual TPM chip isn't required for upgrading to Windows 11. Starting with Parallels Desktop 17, Parallels Desktop reports to Windows OS that it's running in a virtual environment so that Windows doesn't ask for the presence of a TPM 2.0 chip. " Microsoft seems to disagree, but at least we now have the option to enable TPM, so that shouldn't be a major problem.

2) Apple Silicon isn't on the list of supported processors. This is obviously a huge problem. Parallels and Microsoft need to work something out here.

3) Surprisingly the missing WDDM 2.0 support that many of us thought was causing the incompatibility isn't flagged at all.

upload_2021-8-28_13-35-11.png

upload_2021-8-28_13-37-23.png

ManuelQ1 and AlexeyY1 like this.
  2. AndyH8

AndyH8 Bit Poster

I'd like to add to the above, that in the Windows Insider preferences we're now getting the attached message and are unable to move to the beta channel. All Windows 11 updates up to 29th August have been run.

Attached Files:

3. kundanno

kundanno Kilo Poster

Thanks @MichaelH63 - I just ran this tool on my Intel Mac (running VMware Fusion with TPM enabled) and it gave me an all clear. I think with the CPU, Microsoft needs to add Apple Silicon on their list of approved processors (which I think they are smart and will want to appeal to the Apple community. Hint: Microsoft 365 on macOS). TPM is a no brainer, though I am not sure what the "Parallels reporting as VM" situation is all about.

4. JerryG

JerryG Bit Poster

I have the same issue. But it really doesn't matter as I've had to abandon using Parallels and Windows on my MacMini M1 due to a serious sound issue with my Phillips dictation microphone. I've reported this bug to the windows insider team with NO response. I've reported it to the Parallels people and got a reply to check all my sound settings. Duh, don't they think I already did this? So, now I have to hope that VMWare ends up supporting M1 if Microsoft does. Very disappointed in this whole process from Microsoft and Parallels!

5. MichaelH63

MichaelH63 Kilo Poster

Looks like Parallels released an update to fix the compatibility issues. https://kb.parallels.com/en/125521
    Has anyone tried it yet? (I'm currently at work without access to my Mac.)

BradB7 likes this.
  6. BradB7

BradB7 Bit Poster

Just getting to work here, Michael. Unfortunately, no time to play around today. Here's to hoping this is the last major fix we need with this 17.0.1 update. Wish the communication had been better though. Thanks for sharing the KB notice!

7. kundanno

kundanno Kilo Poster

I upgraded to 17.0.1. I see no difference. PC Health tool still complains about Apple Silicon not being supported, and now it also gives me a TPM 2.0 warning.

8. MichaelH63

MichaelH63 Kilo Poster

PC Health tool still complains about TPM and Apple Silicon for me too. However in the Insider settings there is no longer a message about the incompatibility and I can choose all Channel options now. I don't know what that means if we try to install a regular version of Windows 11 once it is available, but at least the Insider Previews should now work without a problem.

9. kundanno

kundanno Kilo Poster

I simply added TPM hardware to the VM but did not configure it from Windows 11. Now it only complains about the CPU.

10. BradB7

BradB7 Bit Poster

Yes. Removing the Insiderenroll tool and re-enrolling in the Preview Builds lets you switch channels, however, if you run that Health Tool from MS, we are still told our CPU isn't supported (Apple Silicon) and the ball is now in MS's court short of Parallels finding a way to spoof a different ARM CPU to MS. At least we were able to get re-enrolled in the Preview for build updates.

11. MichaelH63

MichaelH63 Kilo Poster

As I mentioned in the other thread, I don't think there's cause for concern.

BradB7 likes this.
  12. BradB7

BradB7 Bit Poster

Yes. I just posted to both forums as I'm following both because there's no standard organization to these things. LOL. Now to know why some are getting the 22449 build (even on the beta channel) and others of us are stuck at 2200 point builds? I've never been offered 22449 yet and am on the Beta channel.

13. MichaelH63

MichaelH63 Kilo Poster

It shouldn't be available on the Beta Channel. Maybe they got it while still on the Dev Channel and didn't notice it until they moved to Beta. Also, if you plan to eventually move away from Insider Builds to the regular release (if that is even possible for us) it's better to stick with the 22000.xxx releases as they will eventually become the release version of Windows 11.

14. NoBackUp

NoBackUp Bit Poster

M$ states that it is not fully enforcing the compatibility at the moment but will come the 5th October. Biggest issue is you can't actually buy a license for windows in ARM. Only comes with the device and the still missing overall support for WDDM2

Issue is no official stance from parallels in the missing items even though HUGH claims of compatibility with 11.

I've been a fan of Parrallels and a user since day one. But this current GAP between Claims and reality coupled by these moves by M$ and the fact that we are all in a gray zone (win10 / 11 on arm) make me really nervous

https://blogs.windows.com/windows-i...ncing-windows-11-insider-preview-build-22449/

15. MichaelH63

MichaelH63 Kilo Poster

Oh, I forgot that MS had three tiers of eligibility for the Insider Builds. So far we were in the red tier and therefore recently kicked out of the Dev Channel. Now we're in the yellow tier and might still run into compatibility issues next month. I hope the CPU requirement won't become a problem then. WDDM 2 doesn't seem to be a problem. That doesn't get flagged in PC Health Check and seems to be a soft requirement that won't be enforced.

16. BradB7

BradB7 Bit Poster

Check out yesterday's notice from MS. We are now "unsupported." Not that VMs were EVER supported on the MS end, but it sounds more like they are playing a bit more hardball now and leaves Parallels hanging to try and find a fix for any update MS might do on 11 that breaks the VM compatibility for Apple Silicon. We also won't be able to purchase a non-insider preview VHDX for ARM.

17. SWANDY

SWANDY Kilo Poster

You don't know that MS will not sell/allow licenses for non-insider previews at this point. All the "reporter's interpretation" of the MS release said was that they will not "support" Windows 11 for ARM on Macs. But MS not wanting to commit makes sense because then they would have to commit to also supplying actual support for the product. We shall all just have to wait and be patient - and like you I am in the same boat and would like some sort of resolution so we know how to proceed.

18. MichaelH63

MichaelH63 Kilo Poster

We're no more or less supported than before. Microsoft never offered Windows on ARM for any other devices than their own Surface models and as OEM versions to manufactures of other ARM PCs. While the switch to Windows 11 would have been a good opportunity for MS to make Windows on ARM widely available, they never said they were going to do that. At least we're now able to switch to the Beta Channel and probably soon to the Release Preview Channel. The latter will almost be like running a final release.