What webcam works with Parallels?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by shirland, Jun 18, 2006.

1. shirland

shirland Bit poster

I would love to use skype with video and wondered if anyone managed to get a webcam working through parallels?

A friend loaned me a cheap no name cam that works perfectly well on a PC but just does not want to know on Parallels.

Thanks in advance.

2. prethip

prethip Bit poster

isight

more imp where is the support for isight...

3. anville

anville Junior Member

The Parallels team has made some postings to the effect that isynchronous USB devices such as webcams are not yet supported. I have been watchings these forums, and not seen a single report of a webcam working.

Unfortunately they are vague about when this feature will be implemented,

As to the built-in iSight on the macbooks, even if they supported isynchronous USB devices tomorrow, Apple (nor anyone else) has not yet provided a Windows XP driver for this device.

Parallels team: Any timeframe for this USB enhancement? :)

4. MacUser

MacUser Member

I hope Parallels will implement support for webcams soon as this lack of support is a -little- bummer for me.

5. adiemask

adiemask Junior Member

I concur MacUser. Parallels, any word on this?

6. ggbrown

ggbrown Bit poster

Having used VirtualPC for years, to say I'm extremely impressed with Parallels woudl be a massive understatement. I don't think the performance of VPC was every good enough to encourage developers to write iSight drivers for Windows, or they would have done so by now.

That being said, clearly the performance of Parallels would be adequate to drive iSight video, and since all new Mac's are shipping with the iSight built in, I'm hopeful that the Parallels team is considering this as an enhancement for future releases.

If I'm wrong, consider this my own 'feature request', "Windows support for Apple's iSight Camera." iSight support in MSN Messenger and Yahoo Messenger (and now Skype) would be a tremendous feature to offer, and draw more users to Parallels given the slow implementation of the video feature in all of those apps for the Mac.

My $0.02

Grant

7. pogi

pogi Member

isight drivers released!

Parallels team- could you take a look at the new bootcamp isight drivers and see how you could use it to get the isight to work? I tried attaching my Macbook's iSight through the USB panel and using the new Bootcamp iSight drivers but XP said the drivers weren't for the USB device.

I hope its an easy fix now!

8. BearPig

BearPig Bit poster

The (internal USB2) iSight driver for Windows can be downloaded here:
    http://rapidshare.de/files/29594322/...p_1.1.zip.html

But it apparently won't work till USB2 is supported by Parallels. Currently only USB1.1 is supported.

9. xserve

xserve Junior Member

if you install Boot Camp 1.1 on OS X, your built-in iSight will be updated to version 1.82 and XP under Parallels Desktop will not be able to detect and install driver on the built-in iSight anymore.

more info:
    http://forum.parallels.com/thread3767.html

10. akac

akac Hunter

Interesting. I installed BootCamp 1.1 on OS X but my Parallels still sees and detects the built in iSight.

11. xserve

xserve Junior Member

yes, but you won't be able to install the isight driver in windows xp under parallels.

12. ScottW

ScottW Bit poster

Well thats not really true I have installed the drivers and the iSight can be seen. The only problem after about 2 seconds of the iSight being detected its quickly ejected. I guess this is because of parallels not supporting USB 2 so it can't power it.

13. juggledad

juggledad Junior Member

I got this one to work after appling the beta update

www.geeks.com
    Description Qty Price Ext Price
    ----------- --- ----- ---------
    BLK-DIGIGR8-N -- USB PC Color Camera w/Stand & Clip (Bl $12.95

14. cineologist

cineologist Bit poster

Juggledad, if you can could you please provide us here with some kind of detailed instruction, or a step-by-step, on how you got the iSight to work under Parallels as you just claimed?

I would love to get my iSight to work.

Thanks in advance.

Chad