Whats the difference between BootCamp and Parallels Desktop

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by mr_r32_oz, Jan 7, 2008.

1. mr_r32_oz

mr_r32_oz Bit poster

Firstly excuse my lack of IT experience

I bought my first all in one iMac with the 20 inch screen a few days ago which already comes with Leopard and I have learnt today that aparently it comes with Boot Camp so I can install and use Windows XP.

I was original told at the store that I had to buy Parallels Desktop 3.0 in order to be able to use my files created on Windows on my iMac and vice versa from iMac to Windows.

But after doing some research on here in regards to Parallel i'm kinda scared buying it as SO many people seem to have problems with it.

Is the main reason why people buy Parallels is to transfer files from iMac to Windows and vice versa? I'm assuming if you only use Boot Camp it allows you to open Windows files on your iMac, but it doesnt help you if you create a file on your iMac and then want to use it on another Windows PC?

Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
    Dave

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  2. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Dave,

The question really is: "What do you want to do with your computer?"

My Parallels works almost flawlessly, on my server (where I monitor the updates I install I have not had a single issue in 6 months or so, I repeat Parallels has had 100% uptime for the period of time I choose to have it opened). I know people who run Parallels with very little hitches as well. You are on the company's support forum; naturally there will be problems no software is flawless, go look at Apple's forums.. Anyway, enough of that, this isn't a sales pitch.

If you want to run OS X and Windows simultaneously, then I would get Parallels.

If you want to play a lot of video games, or professional apps that require 3D graphics intensive work like some of the CAD programs, I would use BootCamp.

If you want to do some of both, I would use both. They are not mutually exclusive, and you can install BootCamp, then install Parallels which can then access the SAME installation of Windows as your BootCamp partition.

If you want to use BootCamp, but also want to access the files from the Windows side, but you don't want to virtualize, you can look at Paragon's NTFS for Mac OS X, a beautiful piece of software to allow you to access an NTFS partition (the most common format of a Windows install these days). http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/

Just to throw it out there, Parallels' competition is Fusion. Some find it more stable, I didn't. And it is certainly lacking in a tight integration between the Guest OS and OS X as many home users will want. Just don't install them both at the same time, I don't know about now, but around 6 months ago when Fusion was just getting out of Beta it was causing people ALL sorts of conflicts when you had both installed at the same time.

In summary, determine what you need to do, then figure out what is the best solution, BootCamp, Virtualization, or Both. If you determine one of the second two, get a trial of Parallels and see if it works for you; use the forums with questions. If Parallels doesn't work, you can always try Fusion or the WINE project.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  3. mr_r32_oz

mr_r32_oz Bit poster

Hi Eru, thanks for your detailed response, its much appreciated.

My iMac is my home based computer for managing my photo, music and searching the internet, chatting etc. I dont really play games on it.

At work i use Windows so the only time where i will need to use Windows at home is if I take work home (which hardly ever happens), OR if I start a file at home on my iMac and then want to be able to bring it into work and use on Windows. The files i'm taking about are only Word and Excel mainly (no fancy programs so to speak).

I also want to be able to use my built in webcam on MSN Messenger which I havent worked out how to.

So I guess i'm after someones advice as to what is my best option based on their experience.

Thanks
    Dave

4. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Dave,

Sounds like Virtualization is probably the best spot for you to be in. Unless you don't even need Windows... Keep reading.

Did you know that you can run Word and Excel on OS X with an OS X edition? Maybe that is the best way for you to go.

You can get your iChat camera working in Parallels I have heard, although I have never bothered to set it up myself. Also, I don't know if there is a MSN Messenger client for OS X that support video chat, there might be.

Vale,
    Christian M. Grupp

5. mr_r32_oz

mr_r32_oz Bit poster

I have the iMac with OS X 10.5 Leopard (i think thats the technical name).

Does that mean i can simply open up a Word.doc or Excel.xls on my iMac without having to do anything?

Cheers
    Dave

6. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

7. mr_r32_oz

mr_r32_oz Bit poster

HAHA how funny, I bought that with the computer and have installed it. But the guy in the store told me I had to buy Parallels Desktop to so I can transfer files original created on a Windows PC to my iMac.

But if i'm understanding you correctly I can open my Word and Excel files originally prepared on my Windows PC on my iMac by using my Microsoft Office for Mac.

So if i create a Word or Excel file on my iMac with Microsoft Office for Mac, I can then open that file on my work PC with Windows?

You're a legend!!!!

8. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Dave,

You got it.

Cheers!
    Christian M. Grupp

9. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Geez, I refreshed the page when your response was showing but your post count was still 5. :p Now that the server has ran the scripts it shows 6.

I thought nah, no response yet, but then it jumped to the bottom of the page, revealing your response.

10. mr_r32_oz

mr_r32_oz Bit poster

Eru

Thank you so much for your help, i really appreciate it!!!! I have spent the last 2 days going through pages and pages on this forum and it all sounded so complicated.

So the only reason why people use Parallels Desktop are for other programs (apart from Microsoft Office) which are not supported by Apple?

Now I just have to workout how to use my built in webcam on Messenger. My messenger works no problems, but cant activate the webcam. I'll have to see if it works on Skype or something as I have family and friends overseas and like to stay in contact with them. (Thats my next challenge)

Thanks again
    Dave

11. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Well, I can't lie to you, it's really quite complex all the inner-workings, and all the posted log messages can't help either. :p Sadly, since Parallels is a relatively new product, it is probably hard to find a local techie who knows Parallels inside and out. Fortunately Parallels has a certification program coming, which should help, I'll be first in line to get certified.

But, in terms of day-to-day use by a typical computer user Parallels is pretty simple... The biggest hurdle to cross is understanding what level of interaction the Host OS (OS X in this case) has with the Guest OS (usually Windows XP or Vista), and the implications in use.

Well, technically programs not supported by Apple might run on OS X... Apple doesn't endorse every program made for OS X, and many UNIX based program can work in an X11 environment.

Enough of being tongue in cheek though, if you were asking if the reason people use Parallels is to use programs that do not run on OS X but run on Windows or Linux, yes, that is the most common usage of Parallels.

I, being a systems administrator and engineer, am very excited about the forthcoming Parallels server, which will add another use, for segregating the environment across 'Virtual Servers'.

12. kirktalon

kirktalon Bit poster

If you have not already purchased Microsoft Office you can try NeoOffice.org. It is an open source, as in free, program that has a great deal of compatibility with Microsoft Office.
    It won't have all the bells and whistles of the latest Microsoft stuff but if you are just needing to access your older Word files or just passing them back and forth between friends it could do the trick.