When to suspend vs. when to shut down?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by jgarbers, May 1, 2008.

1. jgarbers

jgarbers Bit poster

Are there any guidelines regarding when it'd be better to shut down the VM (via Start / Turn Off) vs. just closing and suspending the VM? It seems to take a lot less time to start the VM if it's suspended - presumably because it doesn't have to go through all the boot logic. So is that the preferred strategy? Are there times when you'd want to go through the Windows shutdown process?

2. brainee28

brainee28 Junior Member

I would also like to hear from Parallels on this subject. I'm also finding that apps and other programs start much faster using suspend, but I'm guessing you need to restart your machine every so often to refresh the settings, otherwise it could get corrupted.

3. LBelg

LBelg Junior Member

I hope someone with knowledge on this topic replies to this post. To avoid problems, I’ve routinely shut down Windows, and rebooted it when I need it again -- a process that in some instances I wind up repeating several times a day.

I’ve avoided “suspend†for two reasons: (1) I really don’t quite understand it, or the ramifications of using it consistently; (2) I use Windows only because of my job, and it’s mission-critical. I absolutely can’t have unexpected behavior that I can’t solve very, very quickly.

Still, I’d very much like to (safely) speed up my process, and thus would love if someone could shed some light on all this!

Thanks.

------

What I’m Using:
    Leopard 10.5.2
    Parallels Build 5584
    3 GB Ram
    Windows XP2

4. vespina

vespina Bit poster

I use suspend feature almost every day with no problem at all, besides the UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME problem after a ForceQuit or a powerdown.

I also use this VM as a mission-critical part of my work. What I did to avoid downtime was to create a separate disk to store my data, and made a copy in DVD of my "system" disk. This way, every time Windows get screwed, I just have to restore my backup and get back in bussines in 30min or so.

5. vespina

vespina Bit poster

I use suspend feature almost every day with no problem at all, besides the UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME problem after a ForceQuit or a powerdown.

I also use this VM as a mission-critical part of my work. What I did to avoid downtime was to create a separate disk to store my data, and made a copy in DVD of my "system" disk. This way, every time Windows get screwed, I just have to restore my backup and get back in bussines in 30min or so.

Victor Espina
    Leopard 10.5.2
    Parallels Build 5582
    3 GB RAM
    Windows XP SP2, 512 MB RAM