Whole computer freeze

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Mike Lung, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Mike Lung

Mike Lung Junior Member

I have been using utorrent with your Parallels on a Mac Pro quite successfully for many many months (currently 10.4.10 and build 3214 of PD. I connect with bridged networking to my 2nd NIC which has DHCP turned off on the Mac side. Anyway, starting a few weeks ago, the whole computer will freeze for many seconds at a time. This happens quite frequently. It most often happens right when I try to stop a torrent. After much troubleshooting (disabling all AV and firewall, swapping networks, etc) I have narrowed it down to a problem with the IDE port (utorrrent support mentions this as possible problems). In the event viewer system error log I am getting an event ID 9 error every time the computer freezes. This error states, "The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort0, did not respond within the timeout period." I'm not sure what is causing this, but it really started when I upgraded Parallels a couple builds ago. Currently Device 0 is set to a transfer mode of UDMA Mode 5 (Device 1 is set to Mode 1). Neither of these can be changed. uTorrent recommends Mode 6. I have no idea what these modes are. Anyway, any insights into what could be causing this problem?

I think the problem also occurs outside of utorrent, whenever there is excess drive (swap file?) access, but it is hard to replicate. I have already tried uninstalling/reinstalling/downgrading PD. I have tried PD thru a different Mac user account. I duplicated the drive image. I reinstalled Mac combined upgrade. I've tested the drive in OSX and run chkdsk in XP. I've played with memory settings and diff network configs in PD. This is so annoying, because my whole computer will just freeze for anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes. The mouse moves and clicks sometimes process very slowly (on the Mac side, total freeze in Windows), but mostly nothing is running. Neither the Mac nor Windows is showing any excessive CPU or drive use. When the Mac recovers, there is definitely a lot of disk access.