Why no *.ppt extension for Smart Select & PowerPoint?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by shahrum, Jul 18, 2007.

1. shahrum

shahrum Bit poster

The most commonly used PowerPoint extension .ppt is missing from the smart select dialog for Office 2007's PowerPoint. Any ideas when this will be fixed?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks!
    Shahrum

2. yotommy

yotommy Bit poster

good questions!

Sorry to say I do not have an answer, but ran across this posting while searching for the answer. I'm really baffled by this. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
    Tom.

3. twynne

twynne Hunter

Has anyone ever found a resolution to this? It still doesn't appear to work.

4. twynne

twynne Hunter

Just realised I might have a slightly different problem. In my case, Powerpoint (though installed and running in my Parallels VM) doesn't appear in the Parallels/Applications/Smart Select/Edit menu at all. How does it get added?

Thanks,

Tom

5. twynne

twynne Hunter

Not sure if it's any help, but the following appears in the Parallels log:

16:22:39.007 W /vm:16949:B0F3B000/ Creator of application "Microsoft Office PowerPoint — Office" is unknown

That application name relates to an application defined in Fusion. It doesn't appear that Powerpoint is registering as an application in Parallels, no matter how many times I run it or restart the VM. Any ideas??

6. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Re- populate Windows Applications to Mac OS

7. twynne

twynne Hunter

Hi John,

If you refer to Parallels>Applications>Shared Windows Applications>Populate, I've done this with no effect. Powerpoint, though installed and having been run (in fact still running), does not appear in the 'Recent' or 'Running' menus.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tom

8. John@Parallels

Please try to open, one ppt on Windows side, selecting Power Point to alwasy open such kind of files,
    Restart VM, repopulate again

9. twynne

twynne Hunter

Hi John,

I've done this for both a .ppt and a .pptx file now (locate file in Windows Explorer, right click, 'Open with', select Powerpoint and tick 'always open with...'). I then restarted the VM and ran Populate again. Powerpoint still does not appear in 'Recent'.

Even now, with Powerpoint running, it does not appear in the 'Running' menu either.

Anything else I can try?

Thanks,

Tom

10. twynne

twynne Hunter

Incidentally, when I run 'Populate' and the Windows dialog comes up as it scans through programs I can see powerpnt.exe momentarily. Unfortunately it never appears in the menu.

11. twynne

twynne Hunter

John,

Any further suggestions on this? I'd happily raise a support ticket, but they seem to disappear and I never get a response (not sure if the 'Report a problem' functionality in Parallels is even working!)

Thanks,

Tom

12. John@Parallels