Win 2000 Host

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation for Windows and Linux' started by Ray, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Ray

Ray Member

Have installed Parallels 2.1 onto a Win2000 Host and installed Suse 10 as a guest. I am a little unsure of whether this problem arose before or after I installed Parallels, but I am now unable to access my network from the computer on which Parallels is installed. I can ping the other computers but the network itself will not attach. Is there something in Parallels that I need to configure.

My network properties show, Client for Microsoft Networks, File and Printer Sharing, Parallels Network driver and TCP/IP Internet protocol.

The internet is ok. The Parallels Ethernet Virtual config shows a different submask and IP address range than others on my network. All computers belong to the same Workgroup.

Ray

2. STim

STim Bit poster

Hello,

Normally this should not happen. Parallels Workstation does not affect the host network when installed.

Can you please disable the "Parallels Host-Guest Virtual NIC" network connection and check if the problem disappears? If not, can you please post the output of the "ipconfig /all" command run on the host machine in question.

3. Ray

Ray Member

Tim,

With the Parallels Host-Guest Nic disabled my Network is accessible again.

Ray

4. anshar

anshar Member

DHCP settings

Ray,

Please check menu Edit->Preferences, Network tab for DHCP settings. Parallels Workstation has its own DHCP server for host only networking - it providing IP addresses for host PC and VMs. There is high probability that your physical network has the same address as virtual and this leads to problems.

Try to change DHCP scope there to different subnet. It could help.

5. Ray

Ray Member

Anshar,

Thanks for the reply. My own network is 10.0 etc with a submask of 255.0.0.0, the addresses by Parallels are 10.37.129.1 - 254 with a submask of 255.255.255.0.

What do you suggest I change???

Ray

Note that I am using Bridged Networking to connect to my other computers.

Ray

Last edited: Mar 29, 2006
  6. Ynot

Ynot Pro

Try to set Parallels addresses to smth. like 192.168.0.1 - 254 with submask 255.255.0.0. I hope that helps you.

And can you provide which firewall runnig on your primary OS?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2006
  7. Ray

Ray Member

Ynot and Anshar,

Resetting the ip addresses resolved part of the problem, I can now see my network on the host machine but using smb://workgroup on the vm generates an error. Better than before though so I'll play around.

Thanks Ray

8. robbyn

robbyn Bit poster

Win2k host with Ubuntu 6.10 guestI

I too can not access my adsl connection on this stand alone machine running Win2k as the host and ubuntu from within parallels

I followed the advice above from Anshar and Ynot and changed
    the Parallels addresses to 192.168.0.1 - 254
    with submask 255.255.0.0 via Edit->Preferences,
    Network tab for DHCP settings

The result shows up in the host run ipconfig as follows, but I can
    not access the net from within parallels even after the change.

Can someone suggest what to do next:

Windows 2000 IP Configuration results

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : config
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.64

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254

Ethernet adapter Parallels Host-Guest Virtual NIC:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :