Win XP can't connect to MSN and Microsoft Websites

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by piatigorsky, Jul 7, 2007.

1. piatigorsky

piatigorsky Bit poster

I'm using Parallels Desktop 3.0 and my Boot Camp partition to run Windows. My internet connection in the VM works fine except for all Microsoft-related websites and MSN services: I can't connect to Microsoft's websites and the MSN homepage, and Windows Live Messenger always fails to connect to the MSN server. A search on Google turned up this tip at http://www.macwindows.com/winintelmac.html:

Here's a tip I discovered myself. From Windows XP in Parallels, I was unable to get to the Internet on the Verizon PPPoE DSL connection set up on the Mac. Well, the XP system was trying to get a DHCP address and of course, could not since we are using PPPoE and not TCP/IP. So I inserted a Netgear DSL firewall/router in between the Mac and the DSL router and configured it for PPPoE and that fixed the problem. It sure feels bizarre needing a router to route in between a single computer!

I connect to the internet via a wireless AP, which in turn connects to the DSL router, bus current circumstances don't allow me to put in another router in the setup. However, I can connect to Microsoft websites and MSN when booting directly into Windows with Boot Camp, and also when using VMWare Fusion under Mac OS. Seems to me this is a Parallels only issue. Does anyone know exactly where this problem stems from, and if there is a solution? (I like Parallels far better than VMWare)

2. pkr

pkr Junior Member

Are you using v3 and if so do you have DirectX support on?

3. piatigorsky

piatigorsky Bit poster

yes to both questions

4. piatigorsky

piatigorsky Bit poster

help.... does anyone know about a solution?

5. pkr

pkr Junior Member

Try turning Direct X off and trying again