Win XP video driver problem

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ericj, Jun 20, 2007.

1. ericj

ericj Bit poster

Moved from "Installation and Configuration in Mac OS"

Hi All,
    I recently installed Parallels build 3188 and I'm having some problems with the video driver settings in my Win XP virtual machine. I first noticed that when I use Internet Explorer certain web pages look horrible. I checked out the video driver settings in the device manager and they don't look right. Under the "other devices" category, 2 devices show up with yellow question marks -- "Other PCI Bridge Device" and "Video Controller (VGA compatible)". My co-worker has a similar system, but in his device manager, a "Parallels Video Driver" (or something like that) shows up. This device does not appear in my device manager.

Addtional info regarding my video card /monitor configuration (from Mac OSX system info):
    NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT
    Type: Display
    Bus: PCIe
    Slot: Slot-1
    VRAM (Total): 256 MB
    Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
    Device ID: 0x0393
    Revision ID: 0x00a1
    ROM Revision: 3008
    Displays:
    Display:
    DELL 2001FP:
    Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz
    Depth: 32-bit Color
    Core Image: Supported
    Main Display: Yes
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Quartz Extreme: Supported
    Rotation: Supported

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,
    Eric J

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2007
  2. Rachel Faith

Rachel Faith Hunter

Manually delete those other drivers, restart and re run the parallel tools installer to get the right driver. Be warned, others have installed the right driver and still have problems. Your mileage will vary. Good luck.

3. brkirch

brkirch Pro

Try selecting "Install Parallels Tools..." from the "Actions" menu while the virtual machine is running.

Probably unnecessary, it doesn't sound like a problem with Parallels Tools, it sounds like they were never installed in the first place.

4. ericj

ericj Bit poster

Thanks a million! I must have missed that step when setting up the virtual machine.