win98 comedy

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by tmanwell@yahoo.com, May 5, 2007.

1. tmanwell@yahoo.com

tmanwell@yahoo.com Junior Member

well, my joy of parallels continues.
    Having completely struck out at making a workable VM using win2000 & my upgrade install CD, I decided to try win98, since I have a full install cd for that.

appeared to be on the way to success until I installed parallels tools. At next boot, I got black screen in the vm with little special characters scattered around. Thought maybe it's a video driver prob. Sure enough, the parallels documentation mentions that the win98 vid driver may need to be installed seperatley. So.....I'm following the directions, then it gets to:
    "Select Specify a location option. Click Browse, in the opened window locate the ISO image with Parallels Tool: choose CD-ROM drive (Prltools) -> Drivers -> Video and choose Win9x, click OK to close the dialog box."

Only problem: I DON'T HAVE A PARALLELS CD-ROM, I downloaded my copy off parallel.com. I looked all over, but do not appear to have a "drivers" folder under anything from parallels that was installed.

So, more joy.
    ANY SUGGESTIONS?

TM

2. jbmelby

jbmelby Member

You don't need a CD. Instead, if you have trouble installing the tools from the Action menu, you can use the Parallels Tools installer .iso image, which can be found in /Library/Parallels/Tools (be sure to go to the Library folder on the root level of your hard drive and NOT ~/Library!) and is called "vmtools.iso".

Last edited: May 5, 2007
  3. mmika

mmika Pro

4. jbh001

jbh001 Member

Have you tried step #15 from this post? http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?p=45763#post45763

5. jbmelby

jbmelby Member

He didn't say that "CDROM doesn't 'apperared into' [sic] windows" (whatever that means), did he? It seems to me that he said that he didn't have a Parallels CD. I was just telling him where to find the tools installer!