Windows 10 ARM Build on M1 Expiring

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Apple Silicon (M1) Mac' started by KathleenB2, Oct 26, 2021.

1. MichaelH63

MichaelH63 Kilo Poster

Parallels is fully compatible with Windows 11. The problem with the Dev Channel is that the builds can be unstable. I would not recommend using it unless you absolutely have to. The latest Dev Channel build seems to work again, but earlier builds caused a lot of problems.
    Another reason not to use the Dev Channel is that you can't go back to the Beta or Release Preview Channels without a clean install of Windows.
    Now that the Dev Channel shows you a build to upgrade to, try moving to the Beta Channel and check if the update to build 22000.282 shows up. If it does, upgrade to that. After the upgrade you can choose to leave the Insider Program, stay in the Beta Channel or move to the Release Preview Channel.

2. KathleenB2

KathleenB2 Bit Poster

Unfortunately, both the Dev and the Beta channels only offer the Windows 11 update. Not future versions of Windows 10 :(

3. MichaelH63

MichaelH63 Kilo Poster

That's true, Windows 10 is unfortunately dead on M1. There are still builds being released to the Beta Channel, but they are all 19043.xxx or 19044.xxx builds and don't work on M1. Windows 11 is pretty good, though and the Windows 10 builds you have been running until now are essentially Windows 11 with a Windows 10 look and without the added hardware requirements.

4. KathleenB2

KathleenB2 Bit Poster

Thank you, Michael. You have been so helpful. Is it OK to just ignore the Windows 10 nagging about upgrading for a while longer until Windows 11 is a little more stable?

5. MichaelH63

MichaelH63 Kilo Poster

I would update as soon as possible. The Windows 10 builds haven't been updated in months and contain unpatched vulnerabilities. Windows 11 is pretty stable already as long as you don't use Dev Channel builds. I've been using the retail/OEM Version since it was released and didn't encounter any problems. Of course I don't use Windows much and it might be a different experience if you need specific programs to run. But the most common problems I see mentioned in the forum are either with Dev Channel builds or with the latest Parallels update and USB devices.

6. KathleenB2

KathleenB2 Bit Poster

So, is there a path to upgrade the ARM version of Windows 10 to the retail/oem Windows 11? Where would I get this upgrade? We no longer need a special ARM version of Windows? Sorry for so many questions.

7. MichaelH63

MichaelH63 Kilo Poster

You still need the ARM version of Windows, but not the Insider builds.
    If you update to build 22000.282 in the Beta Channel and then leave the Insider Program, you will continue to receive retail updates in the future. 22000.282 is also the current retail/OEM build. That's what I did (though it was build 22000.194 then).
    Or you can build your own iso using uupdump.net, but that is more work.

8. SWANDY

SWANDY Kilo Poster

Like Michael said (he helped me A LOT), I also went through the 22000.194 build from UUPDUMP and allowed it to upgrade to 22000.282. It has been VERY stable (especially for Windows LOL). Keep getting the Virus updates - nothing much else. Decided just to leave it on the "retail" version and have not considered going back to the Insider Previews (though it was fun). Now for me the ball is in Microsoft's court - would love to see an ARM version of Windows 11 that I could purchase, license and activate. (Though I did purchase a Windows 11 PRO key and got the "retail" version of Windows 11 ARM to activate for all that is worth.)

9. SteveK15

SteveK15 Bit Poster

So i need a version of Win 10 because of quickbooks (as it does not work on 11). I would love to leave the insiders program. So should i do a build from UUPDUMP and start from 22000.194 or can i go straight to 22000.282

10. MichaelH63

MichaelH63 Kilo Poster

Both of those builds are Windows 11. If you absolutely need to use Windows 10, the latest build would be 21390. However that build is from May 2021 and is obviously a massive security risk. I highly recommend not using Windows 10.

11. Jacob15

Jacob15 Bit Poster

@SteveK15
    Quickbooks should work fine on 11. 11 is literally a reskin of 10 so if it works on 10, it should work on 11.

12. SteveK15

SteveK15 Bit Poster

Jacob15 nice call ... It did NOT work for me but i tried it before Christmas ... seems that it now works on my Win11 build. So big smiles from me.

13. SteveK15

SteveK15 Bit Poster

Yes, I soon figured out that you guys were talking Win 11 after i had posted of course :(
    Thank you for the help between you and Jacob, i am now back to 11.
    I am still on the Dev channel, so i am looking to get away from that. I have a Pro license in 11 (using a 10pro key). If i do rebuild from UUPDUMP do you think i can use the same key and click on upgrade hardware??

14. MichaelH63

MichaelH63 Kilo Poster

Probably yes. Also choosing the download option that Parallels offers should work too, so you don't even need UUPDUMP. Both of these options require a clean install of Windows, though.
    But I think it is currently still possible to switch from the Dev Channel to the Beta Channel (both should have the same build at the moment) and you can then choose to leave the Insider Program without having to reinstall Windows. As soon as the retail/OEM Version catches up to the build in Beta you will switch to the retail channel (probably with the release of Windows 11 22H1).

15. SteveK15

SteveK15 Bit Poster

Michael again thank you.
    I am currently enrolled in the BETA channel and i have selected "Unenroll this device when the next version of Windows releases"
    I am currently on Windows 11 Pro - Version 22H2 - OS Build: 22598.200. Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22598.200.0
    I am hoping to finally leave the Insiders Program !!!!