Windows 11 on Arm

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Apple Silicon (M1) Mac' started by kundanno, Jun 23, 2021.

1. ErikR4

ErikR4 Bit Poster

2. AlexeyY1

AlexeyY1 Bit Poster

Yes, this app works on M1, but it cannot detect processor and DirectX.

3. MichaelH63

MichaelH63 Kilo Poster

AlexeyY1 likes this.
  4. MichaelH63

MichaelH63 Kilo Poster

I think I figured out part of the update problem, but unfortunately no real fix yet.

After reinstalling PCHealthCheck, the app again unsuccessfully tried to update itself.
    Right-clicking on the installer then gives the repair option.
    Repairing fails with a write access error to c:\Users\(your username)\AppData\local\PCHealthCheck\de(your language might be different)\PCHealthCheck.exe.mui (AppData is a hidden folder)
    After ending the PCHealthCheck process in Task Manager I was able to delete the mui-file.
    Then I could repair and launch PCHealthCheck, but it is still the 2.1 version.
    Quitting and launching again ends with another unsuccessful attempt to update the app. Repairing launches 2.1 again.

AlexeyY1 likes this.
  5. AlexeyY1

AlexeyY1 Bit Poster

PC Health Check today is finally able to update itself to 2.3 on M1.
    Now it says "I don't know compatible your computer or no" ;)

6. MichaelH63

MichaelH63 Kilo Poster

I can confirm that the update now works. I can also confirm that the app is even more useless now than it was before. In the Insider settings, Windows still correctly mentions the incompatibility.

And there's still no blog post or kb article from Parallels about the issue. I understand that they were blindsided by the sudden TPM and DirectX12 requirements, but they really need to get an official statement out soon.

AlexeyY1 likes this.
  7. romanbochagov

romanbochagov Bit Poster

Windows 11 ARM64 dev release https://uupdump.net "Windows 11 Insider Preview 10.0.22000.51 (co_release) arm64"

8. kundanno

kundanno Kilo Poster

Anyone got it to work. I cannot.

upload_2021-6-28_13-56-14.png

JakobR1 likes this.
  9. AlexeyY1

AlexeyY1 Bit Poster

You can install it only if you was insider in dev channel on 6/24.

10. kundanno

kundanno Kilo Poster

I was an insider in the Dev Channel, being that way since day 1.

JakobR1 likes this.
  11. AlexeyY1

AlexeyY1 Bit Poster

SO you need just check the the build in Windows Update and it will install.

12. MichaelH63

MichaelH63 Kilo Poster

That error message makes no sense. According to this new blog post, TPM is currently not even a requirement for Insiders. I'm still downloading the update and will let you know if I have more luck.

Nosix likes this.
  13. kundanno

kundanno Kilo Poster

Apple has spoiled us with seamless upgrades (for the most part). This Windows 10 -> 11 seems so rough around the edges.

14. MichaelH63

MichaelH63 Kilo Poster

Yes, with Apple it is always clear if your Mac is able to run the latest OS or not. Something MS can't do because they don't have their own hardware (except Surface models).

Anyway, the update worked for me without a problem. Do you have the PCHealthCheck app still installed? Try removing that before running Windows Update.

15. kundanno

kundanno Kilo Poster

I am glad you got it working. So far it seems to be working on my x86 VM. I don't know why it is complaining for me. I'll keep looking.

16. CarlosR29

CarlosR29 Bit Poster

Installing from WU. Captura de pantalla 2021-06-28 a las 20.55.53.png

17. ErikR4

ErikR4 Bit Poster

Installed and working well so far. I have it on both Windows ARM and Windows x86 in VM's.

18. CarlosR29

CarlosR29 Bit Poster

WooooW!!!

Attached Files:

19. AlasdairS1

AlasdairS1 Bit Poster

Also working for me :) I was already an Insider running a dev build on the M1 - sadly for anyone new, you can't join now as it doesn't meet the minimum requirements. Hopefully Parallels will fix this sooner rather than later.
    Apple_M1_Win11_Screenshot.png

CarlosR29 and AlexeyY1 like this.
  20. tdtd

tdtd Bit Poster

Had the same error, did a full Disk Cleanup and restarted, and now it's installing