Windows 3.11 ...Again

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by David3800, Jul 19, 2007.

1. David3800

David3800 Bit poster

Okay, I've been looking and I can't find complete enough answers to help me get Windows 3.11 working with networking. I haven't even tried anything else yet. I've looked high and low and tried to get this to work but it's not working. It's become my white whale!

So I have MS-DOS 6.22 installed and it works. Then I changed it to Windows 3.11 and installed Windows 3.11 on it. Everything works fine. I've created a snap shot of MS-DOS 6.22 freshly installed and another with Windows 3.11 freshly installed.

Basically everytime I try to get it to work it freezes with a black screen and a _ right after the WFWG image before it gets into Windows. This happens only if I install the Network Adapter and TCP/IP drivers mentioned by dotcomjunkie. I've downloaded and installed the RTL8029 and RTL8029AS drivers for Win 3.11 from Realtek and the TCP/IP drivers for Win 3.11 from Microsoft.

I see people have gotten it done, but the instructions are always vauge on this portion. I'll post any more information needed to help me get this beast.

Thanks,
    David

2. Ynot

Ynot Pro

Try the following:

1. Install network drivers from Parallels Tools CD. The drivers are stored in Drivers-Network-RTL8029-WFW311
    2. Restart windows.

Does it hangs?

3. If it not hangs, install your TCP/IP drivers.

Does it hangs now ?

If it will hang, can you provide me link, where i can download teh TCP/IP drivers that you are using.

3. David3800

David3800 Bit poster

How do I make the Parallels Tool CD? I bought the downloadable version, not the retail version so I don't have any CDs.

I found the Tools for XP from the menu bar, but it's not available to choose with the 3.11 Actions menu.

4. jcool

jcool Bit poster

Hey, if you can get this going, let me know. I'm thinking of running OS2/Warp. :D

5. Ynot

Ynot Pro

David3800, run windows 3.11 and click 'install parallels tools' in the menu. Parallels mounts Tools CD to it and you can work with it.

Parallels Tools CD is the ISO image of the CD with Parallels specific programs, drivers for some devices and so on. This image exists in downloadable version too.

6. David3800

David3800 Bit poster

Dag yo. Okay. I got it. I had to look everywhere for the Tools. Thanks. I got it working now. Win3.11 locks up at start and takes a couple of resets to get working, but I have IE5 dn/ling and installing right now.

So the hardest part was trying to find the "Parallels Tools CD". Which would have been easier to find if people were calling it "VMTOOLS" or "VMTOOLS.ISO" in /Library/Parallels/Tools. Oh well, I got it now. :)

I have IE5 installed now and it wanted to reboot, but now I can't get back into Win311. It just goes back to freezing at a black screen after the Win311 logo. I don't remember Win311 like this.

If anyone knows how to get into Windows I'd like to know.

Thanks

7. HoldenC

HoldenC Bit poster

i solved the problem. i had to add DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.exe to config.sys to be able to load win 3.11.

8. Frederick Fishel

Frederick Fishel Bit poster

Am having problems installing Windows for Workgroups 3.11

I am using Parallels 10.1.2 on Yosemite 10.10.1 and have a VM setup with DOS 6.22 and a temp folder containing a the contents of a Win3.11 install CD. But Setup fails complaining about memory.
    Attached are screen shots of the config.sys & auto exec.bat files I am using, and shots of the DOS startup that shows a problem loading the memory manager and lastly the error coming from Setup.
    autoexec-bat file.jpg config-sys file.jpg DOS startup.jpg Setup error.jpg