Windows 7 32 or 64 bit?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by PaulJ04, Nov 27, 2009.

1. PaulJ04

PaulJ04 Bit poster

I've got a macbookpro 2.5 Ghz intel core 2 duo, 4 gb ram.

I'm going to try out parallels 5, and was wondering which windows 7 version (32 or 64) is better to go with for my setup?

the main reason for me using windows 7 is to stay up to date with windows new versions, to run a few windows apps, and to test website designs on windows. no gaming or anything

suggestions on which windows 7 version? thanks.

2. dev@parallels.com

dev@parallels.com Parallels Developers

we recommend 64bit version. it's slightly faster and more flexible (next version of Windows won't support 32bit, more efficient/faster when VM has huge RAM etc.).

3. edubrand

edubrand Bit poster

Still confuse.

I would like to ask for your help in 2 matters regarding this issue.

1- You said that it would be better to use the 64 bit, but I downloaded some instructions that recommend to use 32. Please find attached.

I use an iMAc Core i5 with 16 Gb ram. So what would be better? I use W7 very few times, only to run some programs that don't are available for MAC such as Corporate apps and Internet Explorer, when the websitedo not accept anyone else.

2- As I am installing a new virtual machine, will I have any issue to use the same W7activation Key?

Thank you in advance

Eduardo

Attached Files:

4. JKeefe

JKeefe Bit poster

I'm not sure why they suggested the 64-bit for what you are looking at. If you just want to do some quick testing, then 32-bit is what has been out there the longest and is the most likely to have drivers, etc.

You have 4GB RAM on your machine, so you don't need the 64-bit to access the RAM greater than 4GB.
    In the future, 64-bit is going to be what everyone will have.
    For now, most people are still running 32-bit on their old home computers.

5. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

This recommendation is wrong for a physical machine that has 4 GB of RAM or less, 64 bit Windows is more memory hungry so it will actually be slower in the said specs.
    Unfortunately the recommendation comes from someone credited as a Parallels Team member which is frustrating.

Word to Parallels Team, create guidelines and train personnel for direct forum support.

6. EmilyN

EmilyN Bit poster

32bit vs 64bit for 13" MPP Retina with 8gb

what if you have 8GB, not 4? 64bit? i will primarily be using parallels to run auto cad lt 2012 which supports either.

thanks in advance.

7. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Use 64 bit.