windows 7 and connecting to the intenet

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by J2tallll, Jul 25, 2009.

1. J2tallll

J2tallll Bit poster

ive installed windows 7 on parallels 4 and everything works fine, installed parallel tools and still cannot connect to the internet .. i know im prolle just doing something wrong, but in the networking and sharing center its saying unidentified network. no internet access,

what am i doing wrong?!?!
    thanks

check the attachment

Attached Files:

2. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Please try to click "Troubleshout the problem" on this screen. and... it would be very helpful if you post here whether it have helped

3. kat

kat Product Expert

Are you using host only networking in parallels. If you are change to bridged or shared networking. You should be able to set up a home network in windows 7 once you change your access in parallels.

4. J2tallll

J2tallll Bit poster

it says Troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem.

i don't know what i am doing wrong.

5. ZachariasB

ZachariasB Bit poster

Same problem with networking

I've installed Windows 7 (as a new VM). Everything except for networking seems to be working just fine. The networking troubleshooter says it can't diagnose the problem.

I've tried host-only, shared and bridged networking.

At one point, briefly, I had IE connecting to the 'net, but then it stopped working -- and other services never seemed to be working, so I'm skeptical about what happened.

Seems that Windows 7 can't get through the Parallels network interface, no matter what I try. Would be very helpful if someone can reference info on how to diagnose this problem with Parallels... haven't found it yet. I'm considering doing a fresh re-install. (Ug! Already wasted half the day on this!)

6. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Likely you need to install Parallels Tools (there should be a hint about this on the bottom of the Parallels Desktop window).

Make sure that you are using SharedNetworking (it is supposed to work in every network environment)

7. ZachariasB

ZachariasB Bit poster

Shared networking does not work. Parallels tools are installed. However, I've been able to get it working by choosing my "default adapter" (in this case, it would be going to my on-board Airport adapter). Host only is also not working, but, as long as bridged networking works I suppose it's fine.

8. Thomas Sondreal

Thomas Sondreal Bit poster

W7 and NO NETWORK CONNECTION

I am having the same problem with no network connection since upgrading to W7.

Shared connection, Parallels Tools installed.

Tried to uninstall Parrallels, in order to reinstall with XP or Vista, but it does not recognize either my 4.0 activation number or an update activation number.

So now I am sitting with a VM that will not give me network access in order to register the software I want to use.

Anybody have another idea on how to rid my machine of this App?
    Another 1/2 a day wasted.

9. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

I'd appreciate if you could send a problem report (click menu of Parallels Desktop "Help"->"Report a Problem"), just as it is now and even it is ok without any description. Then please post here its id.

10. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

1) Did you upgrade Windows in your VM just by installing upgrade? If yes, then you need to reinstall Parallels Tools. To do so, click Add/Remove programs in ControlPanel and uninstall Tools. Then reboot and install them again.

2) If you have already done something like this, please Right-click "My Computer" -> "Manage" -> "Device Manager", unfold the "Network Adapters" and send a problem report using menu of Parallels Help->Report a Problem. Post here its ID

11. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Bit poster

I am having the same problem - installed a fresh copy of Win7 and it can't connect to the net. I've tried all the options. Why doesn't Parrallels just recognise the adaptor????
    Has it been fixed yet?

12. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

If you already have installed Parallels Tools, please Right-click "My Computer" -> "Manage" -> "Device Manager", unfold the "Network Adapters" and send a problem report using menu of Parallels Help->Report a Problem. Post here its ID

13. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Bit poster

I have installed Parrlelle tools. The device driver indicates that the following are not working:
    Ethernet controller
    Multimedia audio controller (there is no sound)
    PCI device
    Is Parallels Help on the website? If so where? Parallels tools doesn't show up in the list of installed software when I click the start button in Win7

14. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Bit poster

OK, - the ID is 2972599

15. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

For some reason Parallels have not detected that Parallels Tools are not installed (at least they are not functioning inside the VM) and have not suggested to upgrade them.

It is hard to say why this have happened. May be it is because you have upgraded the XP to Windows 7 and Parallels have not tracked it well.

You definitely need to reinstall tools. If usual sequence with clicking menu "Virtual Machine" -> "Install Parallels Tools" (and possibly clicking "My Computer" -> "CD Rom (D:)" in Windows if installation have not autostarted), then remove Parallels Tools using ControlPanel->"Add/Remove Programs" and install them again after reboot of Virtual Machine.

16. Ken Olenick

Ken Olenick Bit poster

Same problem, I have Snow leopard and have put on windows 7. I bought parallels 4 and followed the guide "How to install windows 7 in OS X using Parallels Desktop a complete walkthrough". I do not have internet and have tried removing Parallels Tools through Control Panel and then intalling it again aaagain after reboot of Virtual Machine but still no internet so I can't update windows. When I run troubleshoot the problem it can't find the problem. I have done this a few times with no luck. two of the ID#s are "5983579" and "6013811". Sure would like some help with this.

17. robgard

robgard Bit poster

I was prompted to do an automatic upgrade which I did and the updated program won't install tools - I've now reported this twice and have had no response whatsover. It has been some months since I posted my first request. the 1st reporting was ID 5303682.
    2nd reporting:
    ID 5962767

18. Ken Olenick

Ken Olenick Bit poster

I know I'm not sure how much support there is after they get your money. I bought a IMac and a Macbook pro after a Mac user I know recommended I should switch to Mac but found out how many things you can't run on windows. I used to go to news groups for my hobbies but can't get them with the mail on the Mac. I bought Windows 7 and Parallels hoping I could get back to the news groups and use some of the other programs that don't run on the Mac. Have spent a lot of money and time for nothing so far. I think that the windows 7 is missing some drivers but can't get them because can't get on the net. If I this was the problem and knew what and where they were I could download them to a memory stick and then load them into windows.

19. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hi, The version you are running (4.0.3522.205957) is too old, it was released many monthes before SnowLeopard. You definitely need to download and install the latest build of Parallels Desktop 4.0. The link for the latest build can be found here: http://kb.parallels.com/en/5802

20. Ken Olenick

Ken Olenick Bit poster

thank-you it worked. When I first installed the program I bought and it was loading, it said that it was installing the latest updates but I guess it wasn't. Thanks again