Windows 7 Graphic Performance

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by KarlkimS, Sep 2, 2009.

1. KarlkimS

KarlkimS Bit poster

Hi all,

I have been using Parallels since version 3 with Windows XP, and I have had a very positive experience.

I upgrade to Parallels version 4 and has Windows 7 Pro. However, the graphic performance on Windows 7 VM is detrimental. The Windows Experience Index is only 1.0 (it is worse than my old model netbook).

I am fine without Aero interface, but when I use Expression Blend 3 which seems to require better graphic performance, it is almost unusable.

Is there anyway to improve the graphic performance on the VM? I have increased the memory to 256MB, but it doesn't help.

Thanks!
    Karlkim

2. GyörgyH

GyörgyH Bit poster

The same for me...:-(
    Please, give us an advice to rise the Windows Experience Index up from 1,0! The "video" section is 1,9, the 3d section is 1,0.
    I have a 2,8 GHz iMac with ATI 2600XT. And 2Gb RAM for the vm.
    Thanks, Gyorgy

3. cpatch

cpatch Bit poster

Same problem here on a brand new 15" MacBook Pro, with 2 GB assigned to the VM.

4. GarethM

GarethM Bit poster

Same problem too. I've got a MBP 2.3ghz i7 4gb ram SSD with 2.304gb ram dedicated to VMware and 256mb graphics with windows 7 and it can bearly handle solitare.. windows indext rating of 1.0 for graphics..
    any help ?

5. ruirego

ruirego Bit poster

same here

does anyone replies to these forum?

6. Avalonsky

Avalonsky Bit poster

Are they aware about this forum at all?

7. MunkeeVegetable

MunkeeVegetable Bit poster

Same problem here, using v 6.0.something

MacBook Pro 2.26GHz Core2Duo, 4GB RAM, 9400M 256MB

2GB RAM assigned to Win7Pro with 256MB & 3D Accel turned on.

8. TarasT

TarasT Bit poster

Same problem, have tried tofind the solution in Google but no success. Look like Parallels 6 doesn't have Video Hardware Acceleration on Mac OS X :(
    Glad that figured it during trial and didn't buy it.

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Processor Name: Intel Core i5
    Processor Speed: 2,4 GHz
    Memory: 8 GB

9. kristianmartin

kristianmartin Member

Hi Guys,

Try re-installing Parallels Tools. I'm not sure why you are getting low scores. I always maximize the allocated RAM for the graphics in Parallels, and I am getting 5.9/5.2 score for graphics. I am running Parallels 6.0 build 11994, in Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, in a Mac Pro 1,1 with 5GB of RAM physical, 3072MB RAM allocated. The speed of the processor is 2x3.0GHz.

Update: I just took a picture of the machine with a bunch of properties. Hopefully this will help confirm with someone that it is possible. Also, I couldn't bring up the VM configuration but I have "Enable 3D Acceleration" checked.

I also have different machine configurations so if you want, I could get the scores for the nVidia 8800GT, the ATi Radeon HD 2600(XT?) and nVidia 7300GT.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  10. TarasT

TarasT Bit poster

Hi distronic!

Thank you that you show the directions of resolving this issue! It was my fault. I didn't install "Parallels Tools" before.

Now I have installed Parallels Tools and 3D support has become :)

Thank you dude!

UPD

Hey Parallels guys! do not edit my posts about your horrible support just start to provide better support for your customers!

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  11. Alkora

Alkora Bit poster

Does anyone know how to take full advantage of my graphics card? I'm not the best with computers so it might seem like I don't know what I'm talking about or I might just not fully understand.

I have an AMD Radeon HD 6970M with 2048MB of VRAM (Total). I'm running a VM of windows 7 and it is only using 511MB (Or 256 MB dedicated video memory and 255 MB shared system memory like in the picture attached to distronic's post.)

My question is: How do I get windows 7 to use all 2048MB of my VRAM?
    Alternate question if it can't be done: Is support for this ever going to be added?

This would be greatly appreciated as this is a question coming from a gamer and I happen to know that Crysis would love the 2048 as opposed to the 511.

Thanks for any answers!