Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by planeBrad, Nov 7, 2008.

1. planeBrad

planeBrad Junior Member

I can get Windows 7 M3 to install, but I can't seem to get Parallels Tools to install either automatically or manually. I have tried setting the VM as both Windows 2008 and Vista, but I get an error saying Parallels tools can only be installed on a version of Windows NT (2000, XP, 2003).

Any ideas?

2. 3rdEden

3rdEden Bit poster

Bump same issue.

3. bi11

bi11 Hunter

I do not have windows 7, but is there an option when you right click on the app, to run it "as" 98/xp/2000/etc, a compatibility mode option like exists in XP.

4. berylium

berylium Bit poster

I can confirm that Parallels Tools will install in Windows 7 with Parallels 4.0. However, sound does not appear to work (no drivers found), at least on my machine.

-Berylium

5. nextmrtrump

nextmrtrump Bit poster

Where to download

I have windows 7 running as well, where can I find the Parallels Tools manual download in order to run it as an XP app?

6. berylium

berylium Bit poster

It should be listed as your D: drive (CD/DVD drive) in the VM. If you don't have a Parallels Tools "CD" in the VM I believe you can install via the Tools menu in Parallels.

The install doesn't throw out any errors like it did with Parallels 3.0, though, so I don't believe you'll have any luck running the setup.exe as an XP app.

-Berylium

7. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Actually you can try installation Parallels Tools installation as for Windows 2008

8. John@Parallels

We do not include sound driver, sound should be recognized by OS as standard AC97

9. vczilla

vczilla Bit poster

What about Win 7 x64

Hi folks,I know Windows 7 is not a supported system at the time but there's no harm in asking for some help.

Two points:
    1 - Windows 7 x64 doesn't install a ac97 driver by default for the sound.
    So I downloaded one compatible with Vista 64 bits on the Realtek site (pci/1022746d) and it installed fine.
    But it doesn't work fine ,the sound output is jerky.

2 - For me the tools never installed.
    I tried differents compatibility modes (Vista RTM and Server 2003 which is no good because the msi package has specific checks for VersionNT<=600 (Vista and above)).

In fact I read the install log and the error is :
    which happened at the MsiProcessDrivers installation phase.

I manage to install almost all drivers by hand by snatching the uncompressed ParallelsTools folder before the rollback erased it,the video driver doesn't work(unsupported system),and some drivers need that the hypervisor generate virtual device nodes.

My question is what to do to
    1 - install those tools
    or 2 - have access to the custom install gui (since i know that the custom install dialogs are in the msi)
    or 3 - install those services and missing drivers by hand.

Since people reported success tell us what to do in detail.

I didn't understand one answer from John
    What do you mean? There's no Windows Server 2008 compatibility mode so you weren't talking about that.
    What is this special procedure you're alluding to to install the tools on Server 2008 (and can it be used for our purpose here ?)

Thanks in Advance.

10. gazzer82

gazzer82 Bit poster

Just installed the latest pre-alpha on parallels4, all went smoothly. I chose Windows 2008 as a setup, then once windows was setup i installed parallels tools. This enabled everything other than the sound drivers.

A quick trip to windows update and they had the intel AC97 audio drivers available as an optional update, downloaded and installed, now all is up and running!!

Quite smooth actually, seems a bit nippier than Vista.

Cheers

Gareth

11. masshuu

masshuu Bit poster

no luck

i haven't been able to install parallels tools for windows 7 64bit.
    will it work for the 32bit version?

is there anyway to force install the tools, because everytime i try to install these, it has an error, reboots, and doesn't work.
    the main problem being that windows can't connect to the internet.

12. John@Parallels

Windows 7 is not supported but setting OS type to Vista, or to Windows 2008 allows to set driver ,
    anyway you can install driver for network manually
    See
    http://kb.parallels.com/en/5808

13. spyker3292

spyker3292 Bit poster

So it works in Paralles 3 too? I'm downloading now, then I'll try.

14. John@Parallels

Windows 7 is now supporting in parallels Desktop version 4 as experimental
    It is not supported in version3

15. spyker3292

spyker3292 Bit poster

Oh, so I guess I need Parallels 4. That's too bad. Do you guys have any cheap student discount/upgrade coupons? I don't have that much money.

16. spyker3292

spyker3292 Bit poster

I installed Windows 7 in Parallels 3. Of course, since it isn't supported, not much works (like internet). Maybe someday I'll upgrade to Parallels 4...

17. Salamat

Salamat Member

Network can be got to work by clicking the 'install PT' option to mount the iso. Then go to Device Manager, find your network card and upgrade driver, pointing it to search the iso image. Once network is up and running, update should sort out your sound driver.

What I can't find is a way to improve the graphics! Any suggstions anyone?
    Salamat

18. John@Parallels

Increase Video memory to 256 mb (I assume in version 4)

19. spyker3292

spyker3292 Bit poster

Thanks for the network help Salamat. It works perfect!

I've got one last question about upgrading to Parallels 4... Right now I have Windows 7 running fine in a Windows Vista Parallels VM, if I upgrade to Parallels 4 will the Windows 7 install work fine or will I need to reinstall it?

20. Salamat

Salamat Member

Sorry no, it's the (unsupported) version 3

Salamat