Windows 98 and Parallels 3.0

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Morgenl, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Morgenl

Morgenl Member

On the configuration editor the Enable DirectX support box is greyed out.

On bootup I get a persistent "New PCI Universal Serial Bus" found. Despite multiple reloads of Parallels Tools I cannot get this to stop happening.

Parallels Tools indicates it is installed but I still have to hit "ctrl+alt" to release the mouse and keyboard from Windows.

Cannot shut down Windows 98 correctly (always have to go through scandisk on startup no matter what methodology used to shut down VM).

Attempting to run legacy game Dracula results in a black screen. Quest for Glory V plays, but the sound is burbly.

On the other hand, my XP VM seems to be working fine in Parallels 3.0.

Any suggestions for getting 98 working are appreciated.

----
    MacBookPro 1.83 GHz core duo
    98 running on 500 RAM
    XP running on 756 RAM
    Parallels 3.0.4124

2. Morgenl

Morgenl Member

I found that Win 95/98 games will now play in conversion mode on an XP VM with DirectX enabled. This was not possible at all before. These are Myst puzzle type games. Sound can be variable. Movement is occasionally jerky (and sometimes motion sickness inducing), but overall these games are genearlly playable. I have dumped my Win 98 VM.

Congratulations Paralles on getting the foundations of game playing working! Looking forward to ongoing advances allowing more current games to play well.

3. Buechi

Buechi Bit poster

Parallels stuffed up Windows 98 support more than 6 Months ago. I am very disappointed that they still have not fixed it yet.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2007
  4. Morgenl

Morgenl Member

Well I have to add some notes to my attempts to play legacy puzzle solving games (win 95/98 stuff) in XP via Parallels.

Over time the game controls become increasingly sluggish (sound quality gets worse, movement starts to veer wildly as if the engine driver is attempting to "catch up" and then over moves on the direction click). Eventually a complete restart of the vm is required to allow play to continue.

Additionally on several occasions the sound went out entirely (very frustrating when you have to listen for certain things in order to progress), requiring a reboot on one occasion and a complete dump and reload of the game software on another occasion). Another game software dump and reload was required when the system simply did not allow for clicking on required elements.

At one point I got an "out of memory error" suggesting to me the issues are around memor leaks. This seems consistent with the observation of needing occasional VM restarts to make things playable again.