windows 98

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by namery, Jun 29, 2006.

1. namery

namery Member

I installed windows 98 (I had a disc lying around so why not?) this was fine, except it only shows 16 colours, 640x480. I tried reinstalling the display drivers to no avail, and Windows Update wouldn't work. It also won't let me install Parallels Tools (is parallels tools simply not compatible with win 98?). Any ideas?

2. Sheppy

Sheppy Hunter

I think Parallels Tools only work with Windows 2000 and up.

3. namery

namery Member

As I figured then. this is not too much of a problem, though it still leaves me with the problem of 16 colours / 640x480

4. Chris Price

Chris Price Junior Member

Works fine here. I was running a 98SE image that was created on a pre-release, but fixed that by using Device Manager > Have Disk and pointing it to the driver.

From the user guide, here are the supported OSes for Tools:

Windows versions 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000, XP, 2003;
    OS2 and eComStation;
    Solaris.
    We provide PRL8029 driver for Solaris guest OS that should be installed if you want the
    Solaris virtual machine to support networking.
    For other guest operating systems we provide PRL8029 network adapter driver.

5. namery

namery Member

16 colours

Ok thanks for that. So when you say you pointed it to the driver after clicking "Have Disc", where did you point it to? Also, install parallels tools is greyed out in the menu, so I can't even attemt to install it.

6. Chris Price

You need to have Parallels Tools installed on the guest OS before you can "force" the driver. It may be that the configuration file for the Guest OS is damaged, or is not correctly identifying the OS as Windows 98.

The best thing I can think of is a re-install on a new Guest OS file, thus giving you a differential as to if it's a damaged install or not.

7. Chris Price

I decided to do a clean install of Windows 98 SE, and I can re-produce this problem. Install Parallels Tools is not available on a clean 98 SE install. This is a major problem... :(

Edit: I did manage to work around it by going to /Library/Parallels/Tools and mounting vmtools.iso as the CD drive's image. Tools then installed properly.

Still, Parallels should look into why PW does not see Win98SE as a valid installation to put Tools onto.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2006
  8. Banacek

Banacek Member

Ok, here's a question: how did you install Windows 98? I created an iso of the disk image and used that as my CD-ROM drive, and Parallel tools would not install. After checking with the manual, I saw that Autorun needs to be operational, which meant using an iso as the CD-ROM drive would not let Parallel Tools install. I switched it over to the default CD-ROM drive on my MB and it installed fine.

9. namery

namery Member

I tried it a couple days later and 'Install Parallels Tools' was no longer greyed out in the menu. So now its installed, graphics work fine. I did absolutely nothing though to allow parallels tools to suddenly chnge its mind into installing. Strange.

10. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

11. sparky

sparky Junior Member

I got Parallels Tools to install fine in my Win 98SE however several features are missing...

like the Shared Folders and the Enhanced Mouse Functions.

In my XP installation I think there are twice as many "tools" listed as in my 98SE installation.

Is this correct?

12. BBH

BBH Junior Member

Shared Folders from Parallels Tools doesn't work for Win98. It requires Win2000 or newer.