Windows file associations

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by mglish, Sep 26, 2007.

1. mglish

mglish Junior Member

Initially I had MS Office 2004 on my Mac and MS Office 2003 on my WinXP guest OS. Then I "upgraded" to MS Office 2007 on WinXP. I uninstalled that and reinstalled Office 2003. Then I decided that I'd rather not have Office 2004 on the Mac side.

So right now I only have one version of Office: 2003 on the XP side. I have set the Mac file associations so that when I click on a .doc, .xls, or .ppt file, the correct Office app launches and opens the file. On the XP side, this is true for .doc and .xls, but not .ppt. I have those funky "ppt_auto_file" file types. All of the SmartSelect options are correct.

When I right-click on a .ppt file and select "open with", I get a long list of applications but PowerPoint isn't one of them. I do see Word and Excel.

I suppose one answer is to reinstall Windows and then reinstall Office so that but I'd rather not do that. Is there a reason that the "xxx_auto_file" is used?

2. alexg

alexg Parallels Developers

Hi,

Parallels Desktop tools do not change automatically any file associations in Windows. If you do not see Power Point application in the Windows Open With menu please select Choose Program... menu item in that menu and then select the Power Point application from the list. If you do not see Power Point application in the Mac OS X Open With... menu just select Populate (under Shared Window Applications) menu item in the Application menu of the Parallels Desktop. Then, launch Power Point application and check SmartSelect settings.

Alexander