Windows Frozen

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by abewley, Dec 17, 2008.

1. abewley

abewley Junior Member

Parallels opens fine but I just get a black screen. Windows took a long time to shut down the last time I did it but now it won't do anything. How do I try to get it to open Windows in safe mode through Parallels? I think it may have crashed.

Thanks.

2. DaTa

DaTa Hunter

Hello,
    To boot in Safe Mode you should hit F8 button at the very start.
    You can use Virtual machine -> Send keys -> F8 in Parallels Desktop menu for this purpose.

3. abewley

abewley Junior Member

I pressed and held down F8 right after double clicking the Parallels icon and nothing changed. Still a black screen within Parallels. Will Parallels recognize the F8 key before I click in the window to capture the keyboard and mouse?

4. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Stop VM, and delete .mem and .sav files from VM folder or from pvm bundle (right click on it - show package contents)
    Start VM

5. abewley

abewley Junior Member

I've gone through my HD to find every folder I can pertaining to Parallels. None say VM or Virtual Machine. Those that say Parallels have no .mem or .sav files. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?

6. John@Parallels

check in Document/Parallels

7. abewley

abewley Junior Member

Here is a screenshot of what I found. There is one .mem and one .sav file which are under snapshots dated earlier this year.

Attached Files:

8. John@Parallels

Backup and try to delete them

9. abewley

abewley Junior Member

Well that didn't work. Should I uninstall Parallels and Windows and reinstall? Shouldn't I be able to recover everything from my Time Machine backup?

On that issue, I have a few backups since this started and I have one the day before. If I do reinstall, which backup should I use?

10. John@Parallels

I suppose you can try also to boot in Safe mode, like following
    when VM is running (black screen), Virtual Machine menu - reset
    it should show select to boot on Safe mode

11. scrantch

scrantch Bit poster

Booting in Safe Mode does not work either. It still hangs on black screen showing Mup.sys as the last driver to load. Either in VM or natively in Boot Camp. Nothing is working.

12. John@Parallels