Windows Hibernate???

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ruel, Jan 26, 2008.

1. ruel

ruel Member

I know you can do Suspend from Parallels. However, I can't seem to get Hibernate to work in Windows XP. I've enabled Hiberation in Power Options in the windows Control Panel. But the windows Hibernate does not seem to work for me. I don't know if it's my particular installation of windows or if it's Parallels or if the windows Hibernate is purposely disabled under Parallels. So my question: Is anyone else able to get windows Hibernation to work in XP under Parallels?

2. rm53

rm53 Member

I dunno but I wonder why you would want Windows to hibernate? Why?

3. ruel

ruel Member

Just call it my personal preference. Because I want to. :)
    Anyways, that's what I'm used to doing when I'm using my windows PCs.

I know I can use the Suspend command under Parallels.

BTW, I'm doing windows in Full Screen mode under Parallels. And I've set up a shortcut icon in my windows taskbar at the bottom of my screen that I click for getting the mac menubar and the mac dock to appear at the top and bottom of the screen above on top of my windows desktop. I would rather click using my mouse -- instead of doing that option-cmd keystroke command because I'm really not a keystroke person. What I did is make a shortcut icon for the mac stickies (which I don't really use) and only have one sticky note open but I have that sticky note reduced to the smallest size note and I have that dragged and almost hidden away at one side of the screen where most of the sticky note is off-screen with only an almost unnoticable tiny thin sliver of the sticky note appearing onscreen. I click that shortcut icon, the mac sticky comes into focus (but mostly hidden at that one side of the screen), and that forces the mac menubar and mac dock to appear on the top of my windows desktop while windows is in Full Screen mode. And if I want to shutdown, I can then click the Apple and then click Shutdown and then my Macbook has Parallels suspend windows and then proceeds to shutdown the Macbook.

I know I can do all that.

But I just want to know if windows hibernate is even possible under Parallels. If not, then it's not. Maybe an official Parallels person can also answer this whether yes or no. Thank you! :)

4. JoshuaR

JoshuaR Bit poster

One Good reason

It appears that even though I 'suspend' Parallels, that the windows service(s) are running the background. I hear my Avast update notification, even when parallels is suspended, and see network connections in 'netstat' even though parallels has suspended windows.

I'd be happy with either a hibernate, or a way to REALLY suspend windows, so its not taking up any CPU/memory when I'm not using it.

5. Tony Carreon

Tony Carreon Hunter

ok...

1. suspending is hibernating, it just happens on the mac side. otherwise, closing the VM after suspending or disconnecting the external drive as i often do would cause big problems. when you suspend your virtual machine, the contents of memory are written to the disk and the machine is placed in a "power off" state.

2. suspending parallels (Virtual Machine -> Suspend) is not the same as "Sleep" from the Windows Start Menu. "Sleep" on the windows side puts your machine in a low power state, but remains on and allows some background threads to continue to execute.

3. to enable hibernate on windows: (from windows knowledge base)
    - Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
    - In the search results list, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator.
    - When you are prompted by User Account Control, click Continue.
    - At the command prompt, type powercfg.exe /hibernate on, and then press ENTER.
    - Type exit and then press ENTER to close the Command Prompt window.