Windows Hotfix, Restart, Blue Screens

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by jfarnswo, Feb 1, 2007.

1. jfarnswo

jfarnswo Bit poster

I've been running Parallels on a BootCamp setup successfully for about a week now. After booting the VM today and getting a Windows hotfix, I updated, restarted, and the system became unbootable. Upon trying to boot the system in BootCamp I got a message about a corrupted SYSTEM\CONFIG, so I did a recovery on the system.

However, now I suspect the parallels tools are corrupt or something is in a bad/uncompatible state, as I can boot via BootCamp selection fine, but if I attempt to boot via Parallels, it bluescreens immediately (safe mode shows after mup.sys is loaded).

I don't appear to be able to uninstall the Parallels tools in BootCamp any longer (says it must be done from inside a Parallels VM) -- this leaves me in a pretty awkward situation. Any suggestions on a fix?

2. schavez98

schavez98 Bit poster

Windows cant startup in Parallels

I get the same issue. Did I miss a step in upgrading parallels from 3120 to 3150.

3. ksenks

ksenks Parallels Developers

jfarnswo, did you update your Windows?
    What build do you have?

schavez98, explain your problem exactly. Did you only update Parallels not Windows?

4. jeph4e

jeph4e Bit poster

Same issue

When I upgrade the Parallels tools it died. Booted up fine. Got the tools message. Clicked it. Died. Any fix? Boot Camp won't let me do anything...

Last edited: Feb 7, 2007
  5. schavez98

schavez98 Bit poster

I only updated Parallels from 3120 to 3150. I get a message from within Windows XP stating,
    "The version of Parallels Tools you are using is inconsisten with the currently installed version of Parallels Desktop. We recommend you update Parallels Tools. Click (OK) to update Parallels tools now.

Last time i did this, windows crashed and gave me a blue screen. Subsequently, I could not start my parallels session and received an error in both bootcamp and parallels:
    Windows has a corrupt file. Missing System/Config.
    I spent 4 hours repairing my windows.

I do not want to hit the button again - for fear that it will crash.

Is this a known bug.

Running Macbook Pro - 2.33 GHZ 2 GB Ram

6. jeph4e

jeph4e Bit poster

Repair!

How were you able to repair? Thanks!