Windows Media Player Sites Lock My Router

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by A4Cab, Apr 19, 2006.

1. A4Cab

A4Cab Bit poster

First, I'm using beta4, but had the same issue in previous ones.

When I try to view video from Win Media Player-related sites (MSNBC, as a prime example), my router locks up. This is MSN provided video, requiring Flash, which I have installed alongside WMP 10.

Also for example, I get the same lock-up at this local tv site: http://www.wwltv.com/

I'm having no trouble with QuickTime video... haven't tried the Real Player, it's not installed on my VM.

This will be a deal-breaker for me. I'm in the media and will buy Parallels in a heartbeat, if it'll allow me to access MSNBC and other "doesn't work with Mac OSX" video websites.

2. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Thanks for reporting - we'll check this issue.

3. tacit_one

tacit_one Pro

I've tested it just now - everything seems to work great. Please, describe your problem in more detailes.
    Does anyone else experience this kind of problem ?

4. A4Cab

A4Cab Bit poster

OK.

When I click on an MSNBC video link. it opens up the pop-up MSN video window, which says it's loading my video. But nothing happens.

Back in the regular browser window, I realized the wireless router I have was locked up when I clicked on any link, and found I could not access my cable modem.

I clicked back into OS X, opened Safari and same problem - no internet connection.

I then reboot the router (Linksys 802.11b) and voila, the internet connection is restored.

I find it odd that in the VM, I can open and play stand-alone Windows Media Player video as well as QuickTime video, and nothing happens to the router.

BTW, after installing the guest OS, I ran Windows update; I am also completely up to date on Windows Media Player, Flash Player and QuickTime for Windows.

Oh, guess I should mention that I'm not connecting directly to the WiFi from the VM; I have it configured to Ethernet, en1.

5. A4Cab

A4Cab Bit poster

Andrew, when you wrote that you had no problem with the video, I did some digging and realized this is probably in my router setup.

Sure enough, Linksys setup showed local DHCP was enabled, which I suspect created some sort of conflict. I disabled it and now the video loads.

However, there is still a half-second or so lag - video plays before audio.

Otherwise, I am so impressed now... I'm pre-ordering.

Probably the greatest thing I'm impressed with is the ability to scroll through Windows/IE pages using the MacBook trackpad!

6. boogie

boogie Junior Member

FWIW,

i tried both MSNBC and the local news site you posted a link to and didnt have any problem playing the video

i dont think this is an issue with parallels, but more likely with your router/network and how it handles some type of content....specifically the WMV format

boogie